Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Freedom of speech for everyone, not just for some

I read a Lansing State Journal article titled “Protesters shout down anti-Islam speaker at MSU” (originally published online Saturday) about how protesters once again disrupted a speaker on campus because they don’t like what the speaker has to say. People like Authra Khreis and Junaid Mattu, both mentioned as students and protesters in the article, should be ashamed. They speak of freedom of speech, yet apparently have no idea what it really means.

Perhaps MSU should create a required freshman course on what freedom of speech actually is? While I may disagree with someone’s beliefs, if I infringe on their ability to say it I have gone too far. Why can’t these students debate civilly, rather than create such a disturbance that they are suppressing other people’s voices themselves? Shame on MSU for fostering such an environment where people can express their beliefs only if you agree with them.

As the French philosopher Voltaire said, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

Peter Tirrell

2002 MSU alumnus

Share and discuss “Freedom of speech for everyone, not just for some” on social media.