Friday, July 5, 2024

Gas station project needs to be completely eco-friendly

It seems allowing Meijer Inc.‘s gas station project on Lake Lansing Road to be called “environmentally friendly” is a label that doesn’t really get to any point. Will the Meijer officials be promoting bike riding or carpooling? Will the green roof absorb enough water otherwise washed away by the thousands of square feet turned into impervious concrete? Will its food items mirror what one might consider environmentally friendly products, rather than promoting the social inequity created by conventional coffees, chocolates and petroleum? Will the packaging of items sold be made of recycled materials free of noxious chemicals? Indeed, the answer probably is no to all.

If Meijer wants the esteemed title of environmental steward, officials need to learn what terms like sustainability actually may imply in a structure, and how it affects the greater community. Parking, for example, creates a sea of cement that actually fills occupancy maybe one day a year, while the majority of days sees the wasted space take its toll on local hydrology. Cement is an impervious surface and creates a “super-highway” of water not seen in natural ecology, where water is allowed to infiltrate the soil for plants to take it up. This is why our rivers flood so easily.

An environmental steward would reduce unnecessary parking, replace cement with permeable pavements, create a green roof on the entire box-store’s roof rather than just the gas station, eliminate socially inequitable items sold within the store to promote fairness around the world, especially in the third world, where our coffee comes from. Otherwise, they are just fooling everyone.

Jordan Shelley

environmental biology and zoology senior

Share and discuss “Gas station project needs to be completely eco-friendly” on social media.