Legislation to save workers from secondhand smoke

I am a Michigan resident who supports House Bill 4163, a bill that creates statewide smoke-free work environments. This bill would protect bar and restaurant employees and all Michigan residents from the deadly toxins of secondhand smoke.

According to The Journal of the American Medical Association, secondhand smoke causes between 35,000 and 40,000 deaths from heart disease nationally every year. Secondhand smoke is the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States, according to the American Cancer Society.

No one should have to choose between their job and their health. More than 30 other states have passed bills similar to HB 4163 and are experiencing positive health and economic effects. This bill is necessary for all Michigan workers who deserve safe, healthy environments to work in.

As a college student, I can barely go into a restaurant without leaving and smelling like a human cigarette. I cannot imagine how much secondhand smoke I have inhaled just by going out to eat. Secondhand smoke is not only destructive to me but to everyone who is unfortunate enough to be in a public place and inhale this carcinogen. Michigan’s legislators should protect all workers and citizens by passing HB 4163.

Erica Hughes

communication senior

Share and discuss “Legislation to save workers from secondhand smoke” on social media.