Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Quit lumping MSU YAF chapter with College Republicans

After reading the letter MSU officials violate the anti-discrimination policy (SN 10/18), I am distressed to find out that the MSU College Republicans were lumped with the MSU Young Americans for Freedom in the anti-discrimination allegations by the Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives.

Knowing the background of what happened at the YAF event, I can’t possibly see how the College Republicans were involved. The College Republicans and YAF are two different and distinct groups, though they may not be seen that way. College Republicans Chairman Ben Morlock has taken positive steps to distance himself and his group from the YAF.

The MSU College Democrats fully support his efforts. The MSU YAF is a fringe group and does not represent what the majority of Republicans feel. This is by no means an argument that they be banned or silenced I agree that they have a constitutional right to assemble, believe what they believe and speak freely. The College Republicans have a right to be distinct from YAF.

As the president of the MSU Democrats, I would like to think that we would not be held responsible for fringe groups from our side of the political spectrum. The same should be true of the College Republicans.

Scott Hendrickson

president of MSU College Democrats

Share and discuss “Quit lumping MSU YAF chapter with College Republicans” on social media.