Campus community support creates positive city image

In Changing the trend (SN 10/2), the writer references the student exodus to out-of-state jobs. To combat this trend, the city of East Lansing has shown the foresight to actively pursue the redevelopment of many residential and commercial projects. Demographics are changing and to remain a viable city, East Lansing must view itself competitively with cities like Chicago and Seattle – both are urban hot spots attracting young professionals.

Soon many students will reach graduation and will be looking for a place to start their careers. Additionally, many faculty members will reach retirement age, and MSU will have to cooperate with East Lansing to attract new, top-rate professors from around the world. For the city to remain competitive and be successful, it needs the support of the campus community in creating a positive image.

Burning couches and riots taking place in the East Village area are not the first thing visiting professors and professionals should see when visiting our city. The predominant sophomore age demographic and high turnover rate show that the area is not producing a very suitable or sustainable living environment. It promotes a bad public impression.

Thankfully, redevelopment offers us an opportunity to gain a competitive edge. By diversifying our public and private sector structures so they appeal to a wider range of interests, we can attract the population we desire in East Lansing. I implore all students to voice their support for these redevelopment projects and show how our campus and East Lansing can work and live synergistically to promote a vibrant and attractive university community.

Derek Dobies

political theory and constitutional democracy senior

Share and discuss “Campus community support creates positive city image” on social media.