Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Women put much thought into personal safety

In response to the letter titled Use common sense to avoid being attacked, assaulted (SN 10/22), here are enlightening facts to broaden your “common sense.” Not to accuse, but you seem to have put quite a bit of thought into the best assault scenario. Here is what you haven’t thought about: Women put a lot of thought into keeping themselves safe. We are constantly warned to be vigilant of our surroundings. These warnings reinforce our need to take preventative actions. We learn defensive ways to carry keys, how to use and carry Mace and practice self defense. You are guilty of not seeing the bigger picture of Friday’s article.

The article, Unknown suspects assault MSU students (SN 10/19), was written to alert students to use extra caution because of a known predator and to give the community an idea of what to be aware of. I sincerely hope that the women who were victims didn’t read your insensitive and insulting letter. You generalized women by saying, “If I had to guess, at least one of the two women was wearing a backpack at the time, and the other one was talking on her cell phone,” which, according to you, would inhibit them from escaping. Clearly you’re wrong, as both girls escaped. Perhaps you should be supportive instead of criticizing women’s “common sense.” You don’t have to live life in fear or worry about being attacked when you step outside your home at night, and it is appalling that you are placing the blame on us.

No woman wants to be assaulted, and your letter leaves the fault with the victims’ lack of “common sense.” In reality, the fault lies with the men who use women as a personal play toy. In an ideal world, women wouldn’t have to be concerned about walking alone at night. However, as a prime target, we are forced to make “common sense” decisions daily. So thank you for your words of wisdom, but we’ll take it from here, since we have the practical experience.

Haley Babitz

nursing sophomore

Share and discuss “Women put much thought into personal safety” on social media.