Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Innovations: Professor cures African children

Boivin

When Michael Boivin journeyed to Africa in 2003, he brought back bittersweet memories from a heartfelt experience.

Boivin, with his expertise in neuropsychology, saved the life of a Ugandan girl who was severely impaired with cerebral malaria.

And as Boivin makes his frequent visits to cure the sick in Africa, the girl’s mother shows her gratitude by knitting appreciation gifts for him.

The Detroit native is currently working with his colleagues and students to assist in developing computer games that rehabilitate mental and cognitive skills for Ugandan children who have suffered cerebral malaria.

“There are a lot of children there with special needs,” he said. “We hope that these programs will become readily available in places where there is no rehabilitation available.”

He attended graduate school at Western Michigan University where he studied experimental and psychobiology and earned his master’s at University of Michigan in neuropsychology and public health.

Boivin began his work at MSU in 2006 where he works in the departments of neurology and psychiatry. He teaches behavioral science and medicine courses, as well as evidence-based medicine in the doctorate program.

When Boivin is not teaching or doing research to help save lives, he said he enjoys trout fishing in Quebec, Canada and playing ice hockey.

He said his first trip to Africa in 1989 was the tipping point for his decision to do in-depth research on neuropsychology.

“I was challenged by (the experience), and I wanted to find ways to take my training in neuropsychology and apply it to public health concerns in Africa,” he said.

Share and discuss “Innovations: Professor cures African children” on social media.