Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Community group helps south side Lansing area

Special for The State News

Big ideas tend to start from modest beginnings, and for South Side Community Coalition, 2101 West Holmes Road, it was no different.

“A group of interested citizens in the neighborhood wanted to open a community center to get services to people who need them the most,” said South Side’s coordinator Lisa Hale. “It just came together like a bunch of citizens from different backgrounds (who just) started grassroots community improvements efforts.”

Since the South Side formed in 2000, it has grown from an informal community group to an official organization, with a center that offers a variety of services to several hundred residents throughout the year ranging from flu shots to after-school programs for teenagers.

South Side formed because of the poverty that afflicts much of the south Lansing area and many of the services the group offers reflect this, Hale said.

A health fair on Wednesday promoted various health-related campaigns South Side works on, including testing for AIDS and cholesterol.

One of the major campaigns South Side promotes is for the Ingham Health Plan, which provides health care services for uninsured families at reduced rates. Hale said that many are not aware of the program, but one of South Side’s major goals is to increase the public’s awareness about the program.

“I have to deal with people that need health insurance, and they need it right now. They wait until they get sick and people come to me and they’re like ‘My side’s been hurting for three days, and I don’t have money to go to the doctor. What can I do?’” Hale said.

With the growth that the South Side has experienced since opening, the group is now focusing on the future.

Tutoring sessions consistently bring in around 30 students, and the South Side serves an estimated 80 children during its free meal program, leading many in the community to support the South Side’s work.

“I think it’s a good thing, it’s needed in this area, and I think they’re doing a very good job here,” said Ingham county resident Laurence Bigby.

Share and discuss “Community group helps south side Lansing area ” on social media.