Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Michigan Indian Day to be held Friday at Kellogg Center

Anishinaabe, known commonly as the Odawa, Ojibwe and Algonquin indigenous people of North America, have a tradition of planning seven generations ahead in an effort to preserve their culture.

At the Michigan Indian Day Event 2007 on Friday at the Kellogg Center, this theme of seven generations will resonate through a day of lectures, panels and exhibits.

“The idea is that we do things so that seven generations from now, what you did will still be doing good,” said Susan Applegate Krouse, American Indian Studies Program director and anthropology faculty member. “Our ancestors seven generations ago planned and fought so native people would still be here.”

The event’s keynote addresses, on topics including what it takes to raise American Indian children and the impact of American Indian mascots, are meant to raise awareness about native populations.

Hosted by the School of Social Work, other sponsors of the event include the Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives, American Indian Studies Program, Lansing Community College, tribal nations around Michigan and local agencies and businesses.

Michigan Indian Day was started by former Michigan governor William Milliken in 1984 in order to honor and celebrate the history of American Indians in Michigan.

This is the sixth year MSU will host an event celebrating the day, said Gary Anderson, director of the School of Social Work.

It started as a small workshop for students in the School of Social Work and has grown to a campus-wide event with community support, Anderson said. More than 200 people are registered to attend the event, he said.

A youth panel also will talk about issues of American Indian youth and social work graduate students Don Lyons and Emily Proctor will present their field experiences with tribal nations during a panel.

Lyons also is the lead singer of the drum group Little Stone which will be performing during the event’s final presentation of pow wow dancing. Lyonshas been involved with Michigan Indian Day since he was a child and has become even more involved over the five years he has been at MSU.

This is the second year he has presented at the event, he said.

“I think it’s really important that Indians and non-Indians honor the contributions that Indians give to the state and country,” Lyons said.

Share and discuss “Michigan Indian Day to be held Friday at Kellogg Center” on social media.