Tuesday, September 24, 2024

MSU Color guard smiles during performances

I am surprised, intrigued and offended by Daniel Moran’s letter to the editor titled MSU Flag Corps needs to have more fun during performances (SN 8/30). Being a member of the Spartan Marching Band Color Guard, which is the group I assume Mr. Moran is referring to, I would like to illuminate some truths to him and the MSU community.

We in the color guard appreciate his recognition of our performing abilities, but being compared to members of the Young Communist League is implausible. If not smiling makes one a communist, then perhaps McCarthyism deserves a revival. During the band’s march to the stadium, every member is required to adopt a stern visage – this clearly cannot exclude the color guard or there would be no unity in the ensemble. The serious countenances of the band when marching to the stadium spring from a long-standing tradition of the Spartan Marching Band.

The march to the stadium involves displaying discipline and determination, but I assure everyone that we have fun doing it. This is a tradition of the band we cherish, and spectators clearly enjoy it. During halftime performances, we in the color guard are encouraged to have fun, be expressive and smile as much as we please. Our instructor, Orlando Suttles, advocates these things often. Hopefully next time we perform, viewers will have a greater appreciation for the austerity of the march to the stadium and the radiant artistry of the halftime performance.

Amy Milroy

human biology sophomore

Share and discuss “MSU Color guard smiles during performances” on social media.