Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Writer blurs line between illegals and immigrants

As an immigrant to Michigan by way of California, and as a Mexican, I was a little worried that Eric Thieleman was serious when I read his column Undocumented people a problem (SN 9/20). Was his beef with illegals or immigrants or both? More importantly, does he even see a difference?

I got a little miffed by the familiar complaints in Thieleman’s whine fest. But then I remembered Jonathan Swift’s 1729 work, “A Modest Proposal.” I congratulate Thieleman for writing a truly cutting-edge update on Swift’s essay in which Swift suggests the Irish should eat their babies in order to alleviate poverty.

Thieleman’s brilliant use of irony highlights the need for serious thought on this issue. There is great debate on what the effect would be on the U.S. economy if we did get rid of the immigrant labor force. What would the impact be on industries that rely on a tough and reliable work force? Are we willing to pay even more for housing if construction costs go up? How does a $10 head of lettuce at Meijer sound?

I, like Thieleman, do not know what the solution is to this serious and complex issue. It is my hope that a rational discussion, stripped of all the jingoistic propaganda and fear mongering, will begin to take place in America (both north and south of the border).

Laura Maria Jimenez

education psychology and educational technology doctoral student

Share and discuss “Writer blurs line between illegals and immigrants” on social media.