Sunday, September 29, 2024

ASMSU's reputation takes yet another blow

Although not convicted of anything yet, Nigel Scarlett has already harmed the image of ASMSU and of MSU as a whole with his alleged inappropriate behavior in July — over a piece of trash, according to the police report.

Scarlett, the ASMSU Student Assembly’s vice chairperson for external affairs, was officially charged with aggravated assault on Aug. 31.

He said he pleaded not guilty.

Court records mistakenly indicated he entered a guilty plea, but have since been corrected to reflect the not guilty plea.

That night, a female witness told police Scarlett tossed a piece of trash onto the sidewalk.

She said she and her male friend made a comment about the action.

Scarlett took the trash to a nearby trash can, and someone told him there was a closer trash can he could have used.

The witness reported Scarlett used some strong, derogatory language.

She added that when her male friend spoke out in opposition to the language, Scarlett pushed him down and punched him in the face.

Scarlett said he was pushed first, then he pushed back and the victim swung at him.

However, a witness said Scarlett fled the scene when he learned police had been called.

The police found and arrested him in his McDonel Hall dorm room later, the report said.

Scarlett took a preliminary breath test, which registered a blood alcohol level of 0.10 percent, the report said.

As vice chairperson for external affairs, Scarlett is responsible for promoting ASMSU’s image to the public.

Granted, he was drinking, and sometimes people get drunk and do stupid, regrettable things, but that is no excuse.

He is an elected official representing university through the student government.

The entire ordeal draws negative attention to an organization, which already often receives a bad reputation.

MSU has the reputation of a belligerent party school, and Scarlett’s behavior, if the witness accounts are accurate, doesn’t do anything to help that image.

Elected officials don’t stop representing their constituents when they’re drinking.

Hopefully, ASMSU will not experience any backlash because of this alleged situation and everyone can put this behind them.

It’s difficult to say what actions ASMSU should take.

On one hand, Scarlett hasn’t been convicted of anything, and is innocent until proven guilty.

On the other hand, the police report indicated behavior not befitting an elected official, regardless of the school or position.

Scarlett’s reputation has been scarred.

He will have to make a strong and convincing case to the student body to regain the public’s trust.

Share and discuss “ASMSU's reputation takes yet another blow” on social media.