Wednesday, October 23, 2024

ASMSU to focus on generating awareness

Eric Hinojosa, the Academic Assembly chairperson of ASMSU, vigorously stuffs fliers into cups for students to take. After only an hour of Sparticipation the ASMSU booth had run completely out of supplies, like ping-pong balls, and had to restock.

The organization that hands out blue books and provides lawyers at no cost wants students to know it exists.

That’s the biggest change ASMSU wants to make so more students realize what the organization is and what it’s about, said Michael Leahy, ASMSU’s Student Assembly chairperson.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government, and its services are available to undergraduate students enrolled in classes.

“Whatever a student’s issues are, we deal with them,” Leahy said.

This year, the organization works with a $1.3 million budget, after collecting $16.75 from each undergraduate student.

ASMSU is split into two parts: Academic Assembly, which deals solely with academic-related issues and Student Assembly, which is responsible for every other undergraduate concern.

Here are some of the people of ASMSU:

Michael Leahy, political science and economics senior, Student Assembly chairperson

What he’s doing: Dealing with finances and the yearly audit and publicizing the organization.

His goals: Working on higher education funding, a major concert, greater transparency in the financial department.

He also would like to bring a presidential candidate to campus for the 2008 presidential election primaries.

Nigel Scarlett, business finance junior, Student Assembly vice chairperson for external affairs

What he’s doing: Finalizing tailgating events, keeping up relations with the city and making sure MSU has a voice in Lansing.

His goals: Revamp tailgating with drinking games, develop an ASMSU DVD explaining the student government’s purpose.

Scarlett also would like to find a way to get more feedback from students.

Juan Carlos Elizalde, telecommunication, information studies and media senior, Student Assembly vice chairperson for internal affairs

What he’s doing: Keeping all codes up to date, overseeing Freshman and Senior Class councils, Red Cedar Log, Student Defenders and legal services, forming the agenda for meetings and negotiating a lower tuition increase.

His goals: Accountability for expenditures, more organization with filing and communication, more promotional material, smoother elections in the spring, expansion of the Freshman Class Council and negotiating with and approaching all administrators.

Stephanie Gould, psychology senior, Funding Board chairperson

What she’s doing: Helping to put on events, conferences and speakers for registered student organizations, funding IM sports teams for tournaments and working with a number of cultural groups.

Her goals: More organization in helping students and referring students to the best resources possible when they need help.

Matthew Caramagno, elementary education senior, Academic Assembly external vice chairperson

What he’s doing: Working on establishing a four-day fall break, obtaining more minors for the university’s colleges and finalizing a revision to the university’s religious observance policy.

His goals: Finishing everything he starts and making sure ASMSU is hearing students’ voices correctly.

Osman Elfaki, international relations senior, vice chairperson for student programming

What he’s doing: Overseeing Programming Board and its 13 activities departments and using 20 percent of ASMSU’s budget.

His goals: Improving efficiency, having a quorum, expanding event turnout, getting more registered student organizations on Programming Board.

Share and discuss “ASMSU to focus on generating awareness” on social media.