Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Dealing with gas

People want answers to questions like, "Why do I have to pay so much more to fill the tank of my Ford Explorer?" "I voted, now why won't the government fix the problem?" or "Why are oil companies so inherently evil?"

But I'm tired of hearing about it.

America has lived in a world of false security, with artificially cheap gas, for far too long. We Americans are only now starting to pay high prices for gas that our European and Australian counterparts have been paying for years.

Gasoline prices have been slowly on the rise at home for years, and economic experts and scientists alike have predicted prices will eventually rise to as much as $6 a gallon domestically.

The current high prices are simply following the predicted pattern, and they aren't going to fall significantly any time soon.

On top of that, it's vacation season now, which means gas companies can raise prices even more to take advantage of the high demand.

So instead of complaining about the problem, while simultaneously filling our tanks, it's time for us to start making real, positive changes. These changes don't have to be huge or revolutionary in any way, either.

Hybrid cars that get 60 miles to the gallon or more are great in theory, but not many of us college students can drop $22,000 for a new Toyota Prius.

Personally, that's more money than I've had - ever.

No, the real secret to making changes is starting small. Most grassroots movements start out as the unassuming commitments of one or two people.

For example, one friend of mine is trying to only buy gas once every three weeks. He works all over the state, and will have to drive pretty far to meet clients sometimes, but he's decided to ride his bike, skateboard or walk locally whenever possible to offset those travel costs.

And speaking of biking, another friend of mine has decided to make this summer his "Summer of the Bike," even though he lives about three miles north of campus. He rides his bike to campus for work or class almost every day. He still drives sometimes - because no one really wants to bike that far in a thunderstorm, and we all have lazy days - but for the most part, he's keeping his commitment and saving money while he's at it.

I haven't owned a vehicle for years, which has saved me plenty of money. The only time I purchase gasoline is when I toss a friend some cash to share a ride to a concert or to go to Chicago for the weekend. I'm happy with my lack of a car because it forces me to walk and bicycle places I might just drive to, if I had the option.

I understand that not owning a car would be impossible for many people, and I've definitely made some specific sacrifices by not owning one. I can't visit my family very often, and I sometimes miss going to events or places because none of my car-owning friends feel like going.

There are plenty of other ways to reduce the amount of gasoline you use. I mentioned bicycling because it's my personal favorite mode of transportation - once you own a bike it's free to ride, you can exercise and enjoy the summer weather while getting where you need to go.

You also can practice smart driving - combine all your errands into one trip, instead of going out two or three times.

This may be hard to accept for Michigan drivers, but driving more than 55 miles per hour uses significantly more fuel per mile, so driving a little slower can save fuel.

Simple car maintenance, like making sure tires are properly inflated and keeping an eye on the air filter, is very important. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10 percent.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has a great Web site, www.fueleconomy.gov, which offers gas-saving tips, compares vehicle mileage and finds the cheapest gas prices in your area.

Saving gasoline doesn't have to be difficult or revolutionary, and we can't afford to wait for prices to drop or for hybrid cars to become affordable.

Instead of complaining about perpetually high prices at the pump, start making changes your wallet, your health and the environment will appreciate.

Liz Kersjes is The State News opinion writer. Reach her at kersjese@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Dealing with gas” on social media.