Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Future vet gets practice

Troy resident Mahir Jurdi, 14, center, and Farmington Hills resident Donna Moffo, right, react as Jurdi reaches into the rumen, the first compartment of a cow's stomach, Saturday at Vet-a-Visit on campus. First-year veterinary medicine student Elizabeth Gilbert said visitors can feel food being digested when they reach a gloved arm into the cow. "It felt like it was closing in on my hand," Jurdi said. "I felt something moving."

Animal lovers got some hands-on experience this past weekend on how they can turn their passion into a career — veterinarian medicine.

The MSU College of Veterinary Medicine held its Vet-a-Visit event Saturday to teach attendees about the life of a veterinarian and how to become one.

Vet-a-Visit featured more than 30 exhibits and demonstrations, including a K-9 agility course, proper pet care, a stuffed animal hospital and an equine treadmill.

Families roamed from one exhibit to the next, speaking with students, faculty and staff along the way.

"My daughter, who is 14, is running around with her mother looking at the small animals now," Owosso resident Charles Dahl said. "She is really interested in veterinary medicine. This event is great for her because it is so informative."

Advisers set up displays in the main lobby of the Veterinary Medical Center and were on hand to offer career advice to anyone interested in a future with the college.

"I love talking with the public and helping them make decisions as far as where they go with their education, and hopefully getting them on track to have their dreams come true," academic adviser Helen Mayer said. She added that many of the children and teenagers who attend the event have a strong desire to work in the field after they graduate from high school.

The event allowed children and adults who may not have an opportunity to see farm animals on a daily basis to interact with horses, cows, goats, lambs and llamas, as well as the more common cats and dogs.

"The event takes the public and lets them have a hands-on experience to things they would never see if they lived in the city," Tom Barkham, a second year veterinary medicine student, said.

"On top of that, we teach them interesting things about both science and animals in general. This is a lot better than just an ordinary petting zoo."

Second year veterinary medicine student Tracy Wieas said the event showcases what the college has to offer students and the public.

"This is a chance to show the public some of the things that we are doing as far as research and what goes on here," Wieas said. "There are so many kids who love animals and are interested in being a vet. The human-animal bond is such a big thing these days."

The event also was a good learning experience for the students involved, Wieas said.

"Sometimes, you forget that this is a people field as well," she said. "Every animal comes attached to an owner, and people skills are really important, so you have to learn how to communicate. People are going to ask you off-the-wall questions, and being in an event like this helps you think on your feet."

Barkham added that instructing the younger visitors helped the students prepare for their future roles as veterinarians.

"Every kid loves to ask the question, 'Why?'" Barkham said. "We are given the perfect opportunity to answer them."

Share and discuss “Future vet gets practice” on social media.