Monday, July 8, 2024

Walking for awareness

$20K raised in Lansing network's 15th annual AIDS Walk down Grand River Avenue

Ali Olsen, an education and sign language sophomore at Lansing Community College, rallies for honks from passing cars during an AIDS awareness walk on Sunday in East Lansing. The walk was put on by the Lansing Area AIDS Network.

Patrick Lombardi says the fight against AIDS is long from over.

"We're here today to raise money to support programs and services that are designed for people living with AIDS," Lombardi said Sunday to about 500 people who gathered at Valley Court Park to participate in the Lansing Area AIDS Network's 15th annual AIDS Walk. "But we're also here to remind the community that AIDS is still here and that we're still dealing with it."

Lombardi, the event's director, said the Lansing Area AIDS Network, or LAAN, raised about $20,000 from the walk.

The purpose of the walk was to promote awareness and raise funds to benefit local agencies. Lansing is one of seven sites across the state that sponsored a walk.

"The whole factor of AIDS awareness is such an important factor," Lombardi said. "We get out on the streets to get our message home."

Lombardi said more than half of the people who are HIV-positive don't know it. That should scare people because it could take up to 10 years before the first symptom appears, and everyone who an AIDS victim comes into contact with intimately is at risk, he said.

Two AIDS victims shared anecdotes and reinforced the importance of getting tested.

They wanted to remain anonymous because of fear of harassment, Lombardi said.

"I am your messenger to carry this AIDS walk and the AIDS virus, not just for the city of Lansing and the state of Michigan, but for the whole world," Peggy A. told the audience. "All I ask is please be checked, have your family and your friends (checked), and be aware."

Lansing and East Lansing mayors Virg Bernero and Sam Singh were part of the crowd that walked five kilometers down Grand River Avenue.

Bernero strengthened Peggy's argument by explaining the tragedy he and his family went through when his brother, Victor, died from AIDS in 1990.

Bernero thanked the community for taking such an active role in promoting awareness.

"I know that treatment has come a long way, but awareness is something that needs to constantly be raised," Bernero said. "We need to make sure that all the treatment that is there now is available to everybody and that we do make progress and we do make sure people are educated."

Several information booths were placed throughout the park to educate people about AIDS. Olin Health Center Sexual Health Educator Erin Williston manned one of the booths. Williston informed people that Olin provides free and anonymous testing for not only HIV, but also all sexually transmitted diseases.

Singh feels that AIDS still isn't getting enough publicity and that everyone needs to take an active role so the disease can become a more relevant political issue.

"We need you to talk to your fellow friends," Singh said.

"We need to make sure our policymakers take this as an issue and make this issue a No. 1 priority for us. This is something that we can beat, this is something we can educate on. We need all the support, not just on days like this."

Share and discuss “Walking for awareness” on social media.