Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Sidewalk changes ensure safety

Eight months have passed since 19-year-old Dannielle Brandt was struck by a car and killed while crossing the intersection of Farm Lane and Mount Hope Road. The veterinary medicine sophomore was crossing the street as she walked to her dorm room from the Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education.

According to Fred Poston, vice president for finance and operations, a debriefing session was held following Brandt's death, and correcting the intersection became a top priority.

Finally, the construction has begun — a sidewalk is being built that will extend from the southwest edge of Mount Hope Road to the pavilion to help keep pedestrians safe. The sidewalk construction should be complete by next summer.

Ingham County is also stepping in to help with safety concerns, since ownership of the intersection is shared by the university and the county. Ingham County plans to install a crosswalk signal next summer to help students cross the street safely.

The current traffic lights at the intersection are confusing because the northbound and southbound lights have different patterns from the eastbound and westbound lights.

While the safety additions seem adequate, there are some concerns as to why it has taken so long for the university and county to respond to Brandt's horrible death with plans for a safer intersection.

And although it has been eight months, construction plans take time. Poston attributes the delay to weather conditions and the fact that both the university and the county had to be involved.

It's hard from an outside perspective to understand the details that go into planning and making a decision to construct a sidewalk, and although it took the tragic death of a student, it's commendable that the university made the intersection a priority.

The sidewalk is an obvious improvement and will give students a path on which to walk instead of using the side of the road. And although funding issues are standing in the way of the county installing the walking signal immediately, this also will be a great improvement for the intersection.

Despite time implications, the important thing is the necessary action has been taken and students will be safer once the construction is complete.

Regardless of changes, both pedestrians and drivers need to keep in mind at all times that they are not the only ones on the road and should always be aware of their surroundings.

Share and discuss “Sidewalk changes ensure safety” on social media.