Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Pro-life rally features speakers, musicians

College students from across the state gathered on MSU's campus Saturday afternoon for an annual pro-life rally.

The event was sponsored by MSU Students for Life, a pro-life group that educates the MSU community about abortion.

Molly Pappas, a political theory and constitutional democracy senior and president of the organization, said she felt the rally was successful at getting information out to the public.

"We need to give women other choices other than abortion," Pappas said.

"We try to support the Pregnancy Resource Center and the crisis pregnancy centers."

Five people from Silent No More, a group that has women and men talk about real-life experiences dealing with abortion, shared their stories. Each of these people were from different parts of Michigan, Pappas said.

"It was very emotional for me," Becca Wills said. "It makes me feel hopeful that they were able to get help for that, and now they are speaking about it and trying to help other people."

Wills, an English and psychology senior, is also part of MSU Students for Life.

"The rally meant raising awareness for the pro-life cause," Wills said. "(The Silent No More speakers were) my favorite part of the rally because it was amazing just to hear other people's experiences and knowing that all of the people at the rally were hearing this."

The event attracted politicians such as U.S. Congressman Mike Rogers, R-Mich., who gave a speech at the rally, and state representative candidate John Knowles.

"I went because I was invited, and I will support MSU students and all that they are trying to do," Knowles said. "My message to the students is that I'm proud of you for standing up for something. I encouraged them to stay involved and keep fighting for what they believe in."

The Dave Boggs Band, a Christian rock group from Ohio, played at the rally.

Sarah LeBlanc attended the rally and watched the band perform.

"(The band) had an impact because it just shows how passionate people are about this issue," the journalism and Spanish junior said.

"It shows that they are willing to travel to support this issue."

LeBlanc said she believes some people associate being pro-life with being Christian, she said.

"Being pro-life is not about being Christian," she said. "It's more about what is best for the woman and for the child."

Share and discuss “Pro-life rally features speakers, musicians” on social media.