Wednesday, October 23, 2024

MSU triathletes complete race

By Andrea Humanic
For The State News

Three MSU students put their bodies to the test when they competed in the Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon on Sunday in Ludington.

Education senior John Mudie, English education senior Katherine McPharlin and interdisciplinary studies junior Christopher Kelley all were first-time competitors in the triathlon, a race combining swimming, biking and running.

"I knew it would be challenging mentally and physically, and I like to push myself to the limit," McPharlin said.

The three friends began training together early this summer for the race, which they saw as something to do in order to stay in shape and make working out more enjoyable.

"My motivation was to complete the triathlon because it's something I've never done before and to get into shape," Mudie said.

The competitors admitted to jitters at the start of the race, but each finished and received a medal and a finisher's towel. Mudie placed 72nd, McPharlin placed 129th and Kelley placed 138th out of 162 participants.

"I almost collapsed because I was so happy," Kelley said.

The Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon by 3Disicplines Racing consisted of a 500-meter swim in Lake Michigan, a 13-mile bike ride and a 3-mile run. Aid stations were set up along the way offering the participants water and Gatorade. Lifeguards and members of the Mason County Sheriff's Office and Coast Guard were on hand to ensure the safety of the participants.

The students practiced two out of three events daily when they first started training. As the race approached, they did all the events and worked on personal weaknesses.

Practicing together inspired them to work harder.

"Train with friends; it will help motivate you," Mudie said.

Finishing the race inspired the athletes to continue training and advise future riders.

"Everything I had been working for was achieved," McPharlin said. "It was an awesome feeling."

To prepare for a triathlon, McPharlin said competitors should train daily, while Kelley advised hopefuls to start their training about eight to 12 weeks early.

There will be a duathlon on Sept. 23 on the Jackson Community College campus in Jackson. To register online, go to www.jacksonymca.org before Sept. 16.

Share and discuss “MSU triathletes complete race” on social media.