Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Llamas invade campus

14th annual Lamafest Show and Sale brings farmers from 14 states, more than 300 animals to MSU

Judith Brook, of Three Rivers, shows her llamas during an auction at Lamafest on Saturday at the Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education. A pair of Brook's llamas, one pregnant, sold for almost $2,000.

By Matt Valant
For The State News

While the Idaho Vandals were storming Spartan Stadium on Saturday, a plethora of llamas and alpacas also made an appearance on campus.

The 14th annual Lamafest Show and Sale arrived at the Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education, bringing with it about 300 llamas and 40 alpacas.

Sponsored by the Michigan Llama Association, the event brought people from all over the country. Farmers from 14 states, ranging from New York to Nebraska, were represented at the festival.

Paul Doran, a farmer from Westerville, Ohio, who has been raising llamas since 1987, said the MSU festival is a step up from many of the other llama shows he has attended.

"Most of them are just shows," said Doran, who brought four llamas to sell. "They have a show and a sale here, not just a show. They probably have one of the nicest facilities in all of the United States."

While Doran was hoping to sell some of his llamas, others came to Lamafest to see the showmanship competition, the auction and cart-pulling.

Llamas can be used to pull carts and also sometimes in human therapy.

"They use llamas for therapy for adults and children since they tend to make people calm," said Patti Biernbaum — president of the Michigan Llama Association — who said llamas are taken to nursing homes to help relax people. "They have a presence. Some people think that they have a spirituality to them."

Biernbaum believes people's fear of being spit on by a llama is exaggerated. The belief that llamas will spit on people for no reason is a big misconception, she said.

"Generally speaking, they don't spit on humans unless they feel threatened," Biernbaum said. "I've had llamas for six years, and I've only been spit on twice."

Much like humans, Biernbaum also noted, "When they're happy, they hum. That's how they communicate."

Alpacas, which grow up to 4 feet tall and weigh up to 150 pounds, are much smaller than llamas, which can grow to 6 feet tall and weigh up to 500 pounds. The animals also can be distinguished by their wool, one of the world's most prized natural fibers.

While some people are allergic to the wool of sheep, typically they aren't allergic to the wool of llamas and alpacas.

Lanolin, a type of grease that is found in sheep wool, isn't present in the wool of llamas and alpacas.

Llamas also are attractive to farmers because they are cost-effective. One bag of grain will last up to two months, Doran said.

Kathyrn Kukla and Sharon Winsauer were selling scarfs, sweaters and other clothing that contained alpaca wool. Kukla, who owns 25 alpacas on her farm in Jackson, is a big fan of the animal.

"Not only are they easy to take care of, they also produce a beautiful fiber that you can work with," Kukla said.

Share and discuss “Llamas invade campus” on social media.