Friday, October 18, 2024

Few plays shouldn't change reputation

What have you done for me lately?

This phrase is used often in sports. Coaches are judged on a game-by-game basis, and players are often judged on what they do when the game matters.

And the phrase couldn't have resonated any louder than on Saturday, when judging the play of the two quarterbacks.

Notre Dame's Brady Quinn struggled early, throwing just 2-of-8 for six yards in the first quarter. If he moved down Heisman lists for his performance against Michigan, he was being moved off the list altogether for his early performance against MSU.

Meanwhile, Drew Stanton was running on all cylinders. He had 60 yards and a touchdown through the air and 46 yards on the ground in the first quarter. It looked like Stanton would use the national stage to make his case for the Heisman.

But ask anyone about Stanton's play, and you won't hear about his first quarter. You'll hear about his fumble deep in MSU territory, and you'll definitely hear about his forced throw that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown to give Notre Dame the lead. What you might not hear about is the pressure Stanton constantly faced in the fourth quarter.

Meanwhile, Quinn will be remembered for his five touchdown passes and 319 yards, not his early inaccuracy and interception returned for a touchdown that could've sealed the game for MSU.

Maybe sports are unfair, and maybe players should be judged on their entire performances instead of just a few plays, but the reality is that games are decided by just a few plays.

When the good players make those plays, they are considered great.

But when good players are on the other end, they're forced to absorb the brunt of the loss — justified or not.

Steve Highfield can be reached at highfie4@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Few plays shouldn't change reputation” on social media.