Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Change perspective: Attend Black Caucus

MSU's Black Caucuses have meetings to address issues that affect minority students. People of all races are invited — and are encouraged — to attend their meetings.

Opportunities like attending Black Caucus meetings should not be passed up. They give students the chance to speak candidly about diversity issues that affect all students on campus. And for white students in attendance, the meetings give them a rare opportunity to experience, although very briefly, what it is like to be in the minority.

Public relations and Spanish sophomore Candace Gray experienced just that after attending a meeting and said, "To see what (minority students) go through every day is a must for a white person to broaden their understanding of what minority students have to go through and make them more aware that white students cannot just go through life thinking that the world is centered on the white population."

Attending these meetings will help to promote understanding and dialogue within the MSU community.

Although not all dorms on campus have a Black Caucus, there are usually pamphlets distributed before a meeting to encourage attendance. Also, in dorms with a Black Caucus, mass e-mails are sent out to inform students where and when meetings will take place.

Share and discuss “Change perspective: Attend Black Caucus” on social media.