Sunday, September 29, 2024

Welcome to America (maybe)

The United States may be the land of opportunity, but it is very hard to benefit from it with restrictions on immigration. For years, the United States has tried to maintain the status quo by placing restrictions on immigrants from certain areas of the globe. But this could all change for Cuba.

On Tuesday, officials said that the government will soon announce changes to the immigration policy in regard to Cuba. The changes would make it easier for Cuban immigrants to become U.S. citizens. This comes on the heels of Fidel Castro's surprise hand off of power to his younger brother, Raul. Whether or not it's a response to his July 31 step-down from power, however, is still left unsaid.

Making immigration restrictions more lax is important overall, but is specifically significant for Cuba. Separated by only 90 miles, Cuba is a boat ride away from the U.S. With such a short distance, it makes sense that people trying to leave Cuba would be interested in coming to the United States.

This has not been as simple as it seems, though.

Currently, Cubans stopped at sea are forced to return to Cuba, whereas those who make it to the United States are allowed to stay. With two dramatically different outcomes, attempting to enter the United States has never looked so tempting — or been so dangerous. The lengths to which Cubans have gone attempting to reach the shores of the United States have left an unknown number dead and likely even more injured.

Believe it or not, the movie "Scarface" is not an accurate portrayal of Cuban immigrants. All Cubans aren't coke-snorting, gun-toting gangsters. Just like U.S. citizens, if people want to work hard and make lives for themselves, they should be allowed to do so.

Politics aside, loosening immigration restrictions for Cubans is a measure of safety. If we know people are willing to risk their lives to come to the United States, we should greet them not only with assistance, but also with open arms.

As long as the United States maintains a promising economy and opportunity for work, people from different nations will be interested in becoming citizens. This isn't a secret. For centuries, the United States has been a diverse society made of different cultures and backgrounds. Revising the current immigration policy in regard to Cuba can help to reinforce this identity.

Share and discuss “Welcome to America (maybe)” on social media.