The World Cup

He dribbles.

Still dribbling.

Oh, there's a shot on goal.

Score!

The World Cup kicks off today at noon when host team Germany takes on Costa Rica. And when it comes to sporting events, no event receives as much attention or is watched more throughout the world than the FIFA World Cup.

Like the Olympics, the tournament happens every four years, and in its last incarnation in 2002, about 1.1 billion people worldwide watched the competition. Compared to other major sporting events, like the Super Bowl, the World Cup averages 900 million more viewers.

Even though "football" (or "futbol!") is the most popular sport internationally, within the U.S., the event doesn't receive as much attention when compared to other sports, like American football or basketball.

Criminal justice junior Stephen Brenner believes one of the reasons soccer hasn't caught on in the U.S. is because it doesn't fit well into a television formavision networks to sell commercial time," he said. "The fact that it is generally low-scoring and (has) competition with the four major sports leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) here in the U.S."

In any case, Brenner plans on flipping through the channels to find soccer games during the World Cup.

"I am going to try and watch all of the U.S. games and definitely the final game," Brenner said. "Basically, if I am not at work or class, I will be watching games."

With the opening games starting today, the excitement for the World Cup and the sport itself has steadily gained speed in the United States.

"I think the popularity for this sport just keeps growing all over the country, especially in East Lansing," said Ben Pirmann, an MSU soccer player who will be attending the World Cup in Germany next week. "This sport is getting more popular around here with all of the people playing soccer, and the cup only helps this sport gain in popularity."

Pirmann will be heading to Europe this weekend with his father to watch the United States play in three of its games in the opening round, and he would also like to see Argentina play. Pirmann said the cup is the biggest sporting event in the world and not only affects sports fans, but also the countries that participate in it.

"It's the biggest symbol of national pride, even bigger than the Olympics in my mind," Pirmann said. "This event is doing things like stopping wars and uniting people, so the impact it has on so many countries is huge."

2006 graduate Erich Freiny is also traveling to Germany for the big sporting event. He'd like to catch a couple games in person but hasn't purchased tickets because he was worried about being ripped off by scalpers.

"I entered the lottery on Fifa.com and through some other things, but didn't win," he said. "So we're just going to try and get tickets when we get there."

Freiny is hoping to attend the Serbia and Montenegro game against the Netherlands on June 11 and the Iran-Angola match on June 21.

He'll be cheering for the Germans because he has family from there, and he likes the idea of the best German players staying at home to play professional ball.

"The best players from the U.S., they go off and play in England, Spain or some other European country," Freiny said. "The best Germany players play professionally in Germany."

First-year law student Joshua Ben-Asher plans on watching all of the U.S., England, Italy and Brazil matches with the same friends he watched the 2002 cup with.

"Watching amazing plays occur in soccer are more exciting than watching amazing plays in other sports," he said.

Besides watching the game, Ben-Asher said he enjoys playing soccer because the rules are basic and easy to follow.

MSU soccer player Doug DeMartin said if you want an example of something that shows a rise in this sport's popularity, just look at what the children are participating in.

"There are a lot of kids around the area, especially little ones, that are playing soccer," DeMartin said. "So there is definitely a rising interest for the cup and this sport."

MSU soccer player John Folino said that the tournament is still lacking the spotlight other big sporting events receive.

"I don't think it has gotten over-hyped at all," Folino said. "I just don't believe it gets the proper respect it deserves."

Pirmann said he thinks soccer has been given the same exposure and publicity as other sports.

"There has been plenty of good publicity," Pirmann said. "There seems to always be commercials for it on ESPN or ABC, so compared to other sports, I think it has been treated fairly."

Though some might argue that support and respect for soccer and the World Cup might be lacking around the country, Lansing area businesses have done what they can to support this event.

Trippers Sports Bar, 354 Frandor Ave. in Lansing, along with TNT Dynamite Soccer Club,1475 Lake Lansing Road in Lansing, are celebrating the first U.S. game versus the Czech Republic on Monday and plan to have contests for the most loyal fan while having raffles at halftime.

Dan Raben, the general manager at TNT Dynamite Soccer, said the last time the games were on, they were trying to get together all of the Lansing area soccer fans to enjoy the tournament and have a good time together.

"We generated a lot of excitement at the last event, and we're hopeful for this time as well," Raben said. "We're just trying to generate a festive atmosphere."

The International Center will showcase the games on opening day by playing them on a 10-foot-by-10-foot screen. Peter Briggs, the director of the Office for International Students and Scholars, said he has high hopes that the day not only helps out soccer, but the community as well.

"We are extremely excited for the event, as well as all the people coming together to watch it," Briggs said. "I think there is no other event like the World Cup, and I think it becomes a very large educational moment as well for people to understand the magnitude of the entire event."

Raben said that the cup brings people together, but he also said that, more importantly, it highlights soccer.

"The cup is soccer's showcase to the world, and it is great we can be a part of something that can put a spotlight on the game," Raben said. "It has been an uphill battle to make this sport as popular as the big four, and I feel that soccer is a growing sport and that this year's World Cup will help keep it rising in our country's favor."

Justin Kroll can be reached at krolljus@msu.edu.

Ryan McCormick can be reached at mccorm87@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “The World Cup” on social media.