Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Protesting should be protected

We all know the phrase "No taxation without representation." On one of the nation's earliest attempts at protest, we look back with proud smiles, happy that our rebel forefathers set the rules for our young country. But the very act of protesting that those young Bostonians embraced is now being threatened by a new bill.

On Monday, President Bush signed the "Respect for America's Fallen Heroes Act," which prohibits protesters from getting closer than 300 feet to the entrance of a national cemetery.

In what seems like a respectful response to blatant acts of disrespect, Bush has put the Bill of Rights at a crossroads. Turn one way, and chip away at the First Amendment. Turn the other way, and face disagreeable speech at a solemn event.

Bush's approval of the bill is in favor of fallen soldiers who, having fought a tragic battle for their country, have been greeted with a sore departure. Led by Fred Phelps, groups of hundreds of people have protested at soldiers' funerals. Their absurd message is that these soldiers have died as punishment from God for the United States' tolerance of homosexuality.

Wrong or right, Phelps' followers have committed nothing unlawful. By exercising the American right to protest, the group from Kansas has been practicing free speech.

The controversy lies not in what is simply unlawful — it lies in what is lawful and morally wrong.

With the Boston Tea Party as an example, protesting is at the root of this nation — it is a pillar of democracy. In the United States, we have the right to declare what we believe is right or wrong and to disagree with issues we don't support.

If we see the actions of Phelps and his protesters as wrong, that speaks of our morals. However, saying their actions are unlawful is a double-edged sword.

It is easy to say that protesting at funerals and other esteemed situations is in bad taste. It is difficult, however, to draw the line between what we should collectively call a protest-free situation and what events are open to public objection.

So it might seem like Bush made the right and noble decision in signing the bill, but it is difficult to predict where it will take us.

We are at the crossroads, and depending upon which road we choose, further restrictions on freedom of speech could be straight ahead.

Share and discuss “Protesting should be protected” on social media.