Five favorites

Things in pop culture that might make your life a little bit better

1 The fifth annual National High Five Day is this Thursday. The holiday originated at the University of Virginia in 2002 when students high fived everyone they saw. Take part in this friendly, peacemaking custom and give fellow students a hearty high five. If you want to learn more about the special day, go to www.nationalhighfiveday.com.

2 It's a girl! Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes (TomKat) had a baby girl Tuesday. They named her Suri, which means "princess" in Hebrew or "red rose" in Persian. Details on the super-secret birth, planned under tenets of the Church of Scientology, were not disclosed.

3 Take a study break Sunday night and watch the rap/singer duo God-des and She perform at 7:30 p.m. in the Union Lounge. They have performed on the Showtime drama "The L Word," and opened for MC LYTE and Slick Rick.

4 Not sure how to discover new music on your own? Check out www.pandora.com. The site claims it will help you "find music you'll love." All you have to do is type in your favorite bands or songs, and it will generate your own personal streaming radio station full of similar music based on factors such as guitars and vocals, which you can access it from any computer.

5 Drew Lachey, Nick Lachey's younger brother and winner of "Dancing with the Stars," is co-hosting this year's Miss USA pageant. It airs live from Baltimore on Friday at 9 p.m. on NBC.

Share and discuss “Five favorites” on social media.