Saturday, May 4, 2024

Fashion week measures up

Students prepare for Friday fashion show on campus at Auditorium

Apparel and textile design senior Erica Chasco makes last minute adjustments to her garments during a dress rehearsal Sunday afternoon for the Student Apparel Design Association fashion show to take place Friday at the Auditorium. Chasco said her inspiration was Paris in 1810.

Monday kicked off the Student Apparel Design Association's first-ever fashion week, in which they host a fashion-themed event every day leading up to their annual fashion show Friday night at the Auditorium.

An informal and lively renegade fashion show was held Monday afternoon at the Union. Models wearing ensembles from the upcoming show strutted around the building to the tune of techno-blaring boom boxes, while designers passed out fashion show flyers.

"We want to generate more interest and make other people aware of the fashion show at the end of the week," said Student Apparel Design Association President Molly Miller, an apparel and textile design and merchandising management senior. "Hopefully, it will be a tradition that carries on."

Fashion week will continue from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today with an art exhibit in Spartan room B of the International Center. Designers will display portfolios, garments, sketches and design boards so viewers can understand how the creative design process works.

Tickets to the fashion show will be sold at this event. Student tickets are $10, and adult tickets are $15.

Fashion show DVDs from 2004 and 2005 will also be shown at the art exhibit. In 2004, the show's theme was "I 'Heart' Fashion." Last year's theme was titled "The Fabulous Life Of … ."

Since "I 'Heart' Fashion," took place during February 2004, students created collections based on their passion for fashion. For "The Fabulous Life Of … ," students looked to celebrities such as Paris Hilton and superheroes for inspiration.

This year, designers created ensembles from the theme of "Global Glamour." All designers picked a time period and place for their collection.

The senior fashion show will be held Wednesday at noon in the Union, where graduating seniors will show off the garments they made for class. Most of these outfits will not be featured in the larger Friday night fashion show, although tickets for the fashion show can also be purchased during this event.

A renegade fashion show will be held at 12:30 p.m. Thursday in the International Center. Similar to Monday's show, it will display a preview of Friday's collections as models strut around the International Center and designers pass out flyers.

The main event will be held at 7 p.m. Friday in the Auditorium. One hundred and forty models and 38 designers will showcase their talent and display the creations they have been working on for months.

"There's quite a bit of preparation," Miller said. "This is going to be our biggest show ever."

Tickets can also be purchased at the door or at the Wharton Center Box Office. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Fashion week measures up” on social media.