Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Cutting out calories

MSU cook loses 39 pounds in weight-loss competition organized by cafeteria workers

Gilbert Manuell, who works in the Landon and Yakeley Halls' cafeterias, runs on a treadmill Tuesday at Go Work Out, 6135 W. Saginaw Highway in Lansing. Manuell won a weight-loss competition between West Circle Complex cafeteria workers by losing 39 pounds.

Students didn't seem to notice the physical changes in cafeteria cook Gilbert Manuell until they saw the picture posted on his sandwich station.

"Some students, because they've seen me every day, never paid much attention (to my weight loss) until they saw my picture," said Manuell, who works in Landon and Yakeley halls. "It was like night and day."

Manuell's weight peaked at 224 pounds in December. He said he knew he needed to make a change in his lifestyle when his clothes became too tight and his knees ached after playing sports.

"I was weighing more than I had ever weighed," he said. "I had just gotten lazy and comfortable with the way I looked. I didn't care enough to make an effort to try to lose weight."

Manuell has since lost 39 pounds by winning a weight-loss competition organized by fellow West Circle Complex cafeteria workers.

After learning that Campbell Hall resident and communication senior Amelia Stephens participated in the NBC reality weight-loss show "The Biggest Loser," the cafeteria workers were inspired to stage a contest of their own.

"We were talking about the show because Amelia was in it, and I said maybe we should do something like that here," said Jodie McKeeman, a Landon and Yakeley halls cafeteria student supervisor and advertising senior who participated. "The hype of having an MSU student on the show really got us interested."

McKeeman lost eight pounds during the competition and said the goal was to motivate workers to create healthier lifestyles.

"By having the competition with people you work with and eat with, it was easier to stay on track because everyone was watching what everyone else was eating," she said. "We wanted to get as many people involved as possible, because the whole concept behind this was to motivate each other."

About 26 people participated in the competition, which started in early December and ended before spring break, Manuell said.

Improving the quality of food consumed is important to maintaining health, such as choosing whole grains and nonprocessed foods, said Chris Johnson, director of health, fitness and wellness at the Michigan Athletic Club, 2900 Hannah Blvd.

"Eating healthy — it's one of the most powerful things that can make you feel better," Johnson said.

He said eating healthy can raise energy and improve sleeping habits and mental clarity.

"Food is directly related to how people feel — we just don't give it that much thought," Johnson said. "We just have to figure out how to eat healthy. Then we can have more control over our health."

McKeeman said the competition changed her outlook on her health, and for her, it wasn't about losing the most weight.

"I told myself even if I lost three pounds, it would be better than before," she said. "Students need to realize it's not about how you look, it's about how you feel and it's about being healthy. If you want to change something about yourself, then change it for yourself, not anyone else."

Manuell said he cut back on desserts and alcohol and tried to run six to eight miles a day to lose weight.

He attributed his healthier eating habits and exercise to his weight-loss success, and has continued these habits since the competition ended.

"It has caused me to change my lifestyle," he said. "I've gone back to eating desserts, but I'm really trying to moderate exactly what I eat because I feel really good now."

He added that one of the biggest rewards from the competition was his increase in energy.

"I feel really energetic when I'm playing basketball and running around," Manuell said. "I'm not getting winded after awhile like before. Now my breathing is great, my energy has increased — it's really made a lot of difference."

Share and discuss “Cutting out calories” on social media.