Sunday, September 29, 2024

Teaching others to think

Presenting balancing viewpoints is important, but bold statements create ways for students to form own opinions

Although MSU students spent last week tanning or lounging over spring break, a Denver high school teacher had a different kind of hiatus from school.

Social studies teacher Jay Bennish was on paid leave for 10 days while the Cherry Creek School District debated whether he violated a rule mandating teachers presenting balanced viewpoints in the classroom.

An investigation into Bennish's teaching tactics was launched after a student in Bennish's class recorded a lecture given on Feb. 1 in which the instructor compared President George W. Bush's State of the Union address to speeches by Adolf Hitler.

Following an investigation by the school district, Bennish will step back into the classroom today with full pay. Besides the weeklong leave, it is not known if Bennish will face disciplinary action.

Bennish said the lecture was intended to kindle critical thought from his students.

Critical thinking is an important skill to learn, and presenting an opposing viewpoint can lead students to evaluate their own beliefs, which in turn will lead the student in one of two directions:

• Student will see an issue from a different perspective, thus granting them a new outlook on the topic.

• Student will disagree with the presented information, hence strengthening their prior opinion.

Although presenting both sides to an issue is important, a teacher will have his or her own viewpoints and beliefs on certain issues.

A problem arises when a teacher presents only one viewpoint and does not allow for opposing perspectives. But different beliefs and backgrounds are what make discussion interesting and engaging for students.

Although high school students are at a very impressionable age, they should have enough independent thought to make up their own minds about issues and question those presented they disagree with.

Addressing controversial issues is a vital aspect to bring into the classroom, which should be a comfortable setting. Students should have the opportunity to discuss current events and opinions. Still, it is essential students are challenged and their ideas expanded through conversation.

A biased teacher is less of a threat than inhibiting the development of critically thinking youth.

Share and discuss “Teaching others to think” on social media.