Sunday, September 29, 2024

Speak your peace

Preachers have right to be on campus, despite their methods of relaying message; students have option to give response

During the past couple weeks, people have been talking about the Christian preachers near Wells Hall.

They stand in the courtyard with signs and Bibles, yelling out religious scripture and sometimes yelling directly at students and people who pass by.

The discussion about the preachers has centered around different aspects of their presence.

Some are upset about the message and the things the preachers yell out, and some don't believe they should be there. Some agree with their message and their approach.

Others agree with the message but dislike how confrontational the preachers can be and dislike that they often yell at specific students.

Whatever people feel, discussion has been ongoing about the place and presence of the preachers at MSU.

Admittedly, the preachers are within their constitutional rights to express their views at MSU, a public university.

The preachers are voicing their opinions in a public place and are not completely disrupting the normal operations of MSU.

They are allowed to stay there, even if people disagree with their message.

The way they get their message across is somewhat common among people with views they want to express. They want to get people's attention, get them to listen to their gospel. Abortion protesters and animal rights protesters also do this by creating large and sometimes graphic signs that people can't avoid seeing.

Although it offends some people, the preachers are certainly accomplishing their goal of getting people to pay attention and talk about their message.

People's reactions to their message have been interesting to watch.

Some people get upset and swear, shout or laugh at the preachers.

Other people have gotten into debates and conversations, trying to get their point across while listening to what the preachers are saying.

Still others just walk past, not paying attention to them.

Whether or not their approach is an innovative way of spreading their message, the preachers aren't going anywhere.

College campuses after all are supposed to be a marketplace of ideas, where thoughts, views and opinions are freely and openly expressed.

However those ideas are expressed, through peaceful dialogue or shouting, they are protected.

Walk past them, debate them, agree with them, do whatever feels right.

The Wells Hall preachers have a right to be there, but students also have the right to respond if they disagree.

Share and discuss “Speak your peace” on social media.