Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Society earns national honors

The MSU chapter of the Phi Beta Delta honorary society was recently awarded both outstanding Midwest chapter and outstanding national chapter for its achievements and efforts in programming, chapter growth and community outreach.

The honorary society is composed of students, faculty and staff who have academic experience abroad and is dedicated to promoting international education on campus.

"When you look in terms of what's happening, you would be alienated in terms of your own existence if you're not aware of what's happening globally," said Charles Gliozzo, an MSU professor and member of the MSU chapter of Phi Beta Delta.

Representatives from the chapter will accept the awards at the Phi Beta Delta national conference in San Diego on Thursday.

"Since (members) are so dedicated, it's a testimonial to the work they've been doing for many years," Gliozzo said.

"This award is a recognition of that."

He added that the chapter is a diverse group from a variety of different backgrounds and academic disciplines, committed to promoting international education and activities.

"If we're going to have a university which is representative of global focus, then one way of doing it is by internationalizing the campus," he said.

The chapter has participated in numerous cultural and international activities on campus, including the campus Global Festival, World Language Day and study abroad fairs.

It also has organized international potlucks, an international coffee hour and has a monthly ethnic restaurant night.

Political science and pre-law senior and MSU chapter President Christina Zuccaro said the honorary society has helped expand her knowledge about cultures outside of the United States.

"It's helped me become friends with a more diverse crowd, and it's given me a sense of accomplishment," Zuccaro said.

"Students can really learn so much and grow as a person if they become aware of different cultures and different people at MSU."

MSU also was the first university chapter to institute a student president.

"We felt students were very important in participating in the chapter," Gliozzo said. "They've been in the forefront of our chapter's activities, being creative and innovative to implement different activities in which students can participate."

Gliozzo said the MSU chapter had one of the largest inductions in the nation this year, adding about 140 new members.

The outstanding national chapter award also recognizes this achievement.

"MSU has one of the biggest international programs, not only with sending students abroad but also with accepting international students," said MSU chapter Vice President Angelika Kraemer.

"It's important to bring (MSU students and international students) together because both groups can learn a lot from each other."

Kraemer, a 27-year-old German studies graduate student, became involved in the honorary society after coming to MSU from southern Germany in 2001.

She was awarded international student of the year by Phi Beta Delta in 2005.

"It's important for students to know there's more out there than just the U.S.," she said.

Share and discuss “Society earns national honors” on social media.