Thursday, September 26, 2024

New statistics merely police propaganda

As I read the front page article on "Violent crimes down in E.L." (SN 3/28), I found myself annoyed by what I consider police propaganda. The police chief congratulated the department about violent crime being down, yet commented on how officers are noticing more drinking than ever. I just had to stop there and check that line of thought.

Did these officers live and work in the same East Lansing that I have these past four years? Drinking on the rise?

I remember coming to this campus as a freshman in awe of the 300-person parties that spanned the yards of three adjacent residences. I remember the streets being packed during winter nights, with shouts heard until morning. Drinking is clearly down and that isn't a bad thing.

What bothers me is that I feel these statistics presented by the police department are grossly skewed. Obviously, convictions are a product of enforcement, and enforcement is a product of resource allocation.

I feel this department has adopted a culture of oppression over social behaviors deemed undesirable, at a cost of much needed resources required to sufficiently combat violent crime.

I came from a city where police spend virtually all resources against violent crime, and the difference is quite noticeable. How can anyone forget the string of muggings and robberies last year? This is East Lansing, not Detroit; it should be preventable.

The newspaper always seems to describe police investigating, but never police actually finding anyone. That is because resources are simply allocated to other areas of higher priority or of more lucrative earnings.

This theory I have presented would explain how violent crimes are down while drinking is "on the rise," even when my memory describes the exact opposite. But who are they trying to fool anyway? No wonder I'm leaving this iron-fisted town.

Matthew Bahena
supply chain management senior

Share and discuss “New statistics merely police propaganda” on social media.