Sunday, September 29, 2024

New downloading option

Amazon might offer movie, television show files to its Web site; one more alternative to illegal peer-to-peer networks

More legal options for popular illegal activities can't be a bad thing.

This isn't about underage drinking or common illegal substances, it's about another, perhaps safer, form of entertainment.

Amazon.com Inc. is conversing with several Hollywood studios about creating an online service for consumers to download and copy television shows and movies.

The possibility of Amazon.com entering the business of digital downloads puts it up against a serious rival, Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes.

These days, cyborg students are the norm around campus — toting little white nubs from each ear connecting them to their iPods, which allows students to catch up on their favorite tunes, news and movies, all while walking to class.

Amazon.com, which started out as "Earth's Biggest Bookstore," is making a logical leap with the idea of the download service. For an online retailer like Amazon.com to stay afloat amidst its slew of contenders, it must move along with and adopt the current trends of consumers.

The retailer would be crazy to ignore the fact that consumers must be downloading favorite forms of entertainment from somewhere, so why not have it be with them?

Forget going to the movie rental store; if Amazon.com's plan goes as scheduled, soon you'll not only be able to pay your bills, buy new (or used) shoes and check your e-mail, you'll be able to download your favorite flick or television episode on your computer as well.

Downloading everything from music to movies is nothing new. But we've all heard the horror stories of lots-o'-money lawsuits thrown at dorm-dwelling students due to illegal downloads. That doesn't sound fun.

But Amazon.com's latest move might not completely stop illegal downloading. Given the choice between something free with the slight possibility of getting caught or paying for something that's guaranteed safe, there are those who will still take the gamble and illegally download.

Amazon.com's pursuit of another legal downloading possibility would offer a feasible option for other people who want to download but also want to play by the rules.

Although free is nice, legal is better.

Share and discuss “New downloading option” on social media.