Sunday, April 28, 2024

Formulaic chick flick enjoyable

Romantic comedy has simple plot, but worth seeing

Tripp (Matthew McConaughey, right) is a 35-year-old bachelor who has never been able to leave the nest. Now, his desperate parents have had enough. In "Failure to Launch," released Friday, they fix him up with Paula (Sarah Jessica Parker, left), the gorgeous and talented girl of his dreams, in a scheme to get him to move out of the house.

"Failure to Launch" has a familiar plot — guy and girl start dating and one of them has an ulterior motive. Then, as the relationship progresses, they end up falling in love. But then someone has to come clean.

"Failure to Launch" closely resembles the hit 2003 movie "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days," which is funny since Matthew McConaughey starred in that, too. They could have called this newer version "How to Get a Guy to Move Out in 10 Days."

The film tells the story of Tripp, played by McConaughey, a man in his 30s who still lives with his parents.

After hearing a success story from some friends, the parents hire Paula (Sarah Jessica Parker). Paula specializes in getting men to move out of their parents' homes by dating them for a while.

Despite the formulaic plot, "Failure to Launch" is an enjoyable movie. The subplots, which deviate from the predictable romantic comedy script, add some much-needed surprises to the film.

The film also manages to squeeze in some timely clever humor, poking fun at reality TV and computer experts who work from their basements.

Another semi-original aspect of "Failure to Launch" is the perspective the film uses to tell the story. Unlike most romantic comedies that are dominated by a female narrative, "Failure to Launch" uses both male and female insights to convey the story.

The scenes with Tripp's parents, played by Kathy Bates and Terry Bradshaw, provide the best acting and most original humor in the entire film. The couple gives the story a wider appeal.

Older viewers can probably relate to problems facing couples who have been married for a long time — a category of people who don't usually get a lot of airtime. Romantic comedies tend to focus on young, good-looking people and the incorporation of Bates and Bradshaw is a nice change of pace.

The only subplot points that fail are when Tripp is out with the guys, who also still live with their parents. The film resorts to a bunch of outdoorsy boys doing extreme sports filler scenes.

These pseudo action sequences not only bore the audience — they're also logically impossible. You see Tripp and his friends rock climbing, mountain biking and surfing — and they all drive really expensive cars. How can these slacker thirty-something males afford to do all this stuff?

But not to worry, a hilarious Rob Cordry cameo makes up for almost all of the film's shortcomings.

McConaughey's performance as Tripp was skillfully executed. Parker's acting pales in comparison to McConaughey's. Neither actor was playing a complex role, but while McConaughey's character was genuine, Parker portrayed hers unconvincingly. She just didn't have any depth, and only had two facial expressions throughout the entire movie.

The cinematography falls into place as average along with most romantic comedies. Viewers were treated to all the cliché shots characteristic of the genre — complete with the stagnant shot of a sailboat against the sunset.

Despite its lack of originality, "Failure to Launch" is worth seeing.

The film doesn't try to be something it's not, and provides audiences with a simple, cheerful story. Even the most unromantic viewers are sure to walk out with a smile.

Share and discuss “Formulaic chick flick enjoyable” on social media.