Sunday, April 28, 2024

Five favorites

Things going on in the world of pop culture that might make your life a little bit better:

1 "Memoirs of a Geisha," a movie about a Japanese child who is taken from her poor family to work at a geisha house before World War II, is released on DVD today. The book turned movie won three Academy Awards for Best Costume Design, Best Art Direction and Best Cinematography. If you missed it at the theaters, it will be a great Friday night rental.

2 Tori Spelling is the latest washed-up celebrity trying to make a comeback with her new VH1 reality show, "So Notorious." On Sunday night at 10 p.m., watch Spelling make a fool of herself as she tries to get a "normal" guy to notice her and struggles with the "burden" of being the daughter of a famous producer.

3 On Friday night, watch as 11 hopeful bands compete in the 4th Annual Battle of the Bands concert at 9 p.m. in the International Center. The top three bands will receive $3,000 gift certificates from Elderly Instruments.

4 Instead of seeing nationally released movies this weekend, support MSU students and watch films from the 3rd Annual Student Film Festival. Go to www.uabevents.com for a complete movie listing.

5 The much-hyped baby of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes is due any day now. When — and if — this famous fetus is born, it will put to rest rumors that TomKat planted a fake pregnancy to gain publicity.

Share and discuss “Five favorites” on social media.