Yellowcard matures on new album

Katie Fletcher
For The State News

"Lights and Sounds" is the newest release from Yellowcard, the pop-rock group whose last few songs were released among a flurry of California-themed singles from similar bands.

The quintet is most famous for its punk-pop, surf-rock sound that is distinct from similar bands because of Sean Mackin's signature violin lines that occur frequently throughout the band's previous albums.

If you listened to Yellowcard's previous album, "Ocean Avenue," you were probably caught up in the teen anthems, catchy lyrics and surf music that gave the band its trademark sound.

"Lights and Sounds" proves Yellowcard is ready to move past the 12-to 18-year-old listening set to embrace a mature audience.

The 14-song album is more expansive and political than the band's previous releases. "Lights and Sounds" starts out with an instrumental piece called "Three Flights Up," which sets up the rest of the tracks nicely by challenging the expectations of Yellowcard fans.

Fans will sing along to the title track with the same gusto as they did to "Ocean Avenue," the title track from Yellowcard's previous album. "Down On My Head" is a change from the hyper-happy rock that Yellowcard usually turns out — don't be surprised if you find yourself ruminating in the lyrics. Who doesn't feel like the world is coming down on their heads sometimes?

Another breezy, Cali-rock song is heard in "Sure Thing Falling" and will almost certainly be heard blaring from car windows this summer.

The first promising song is "City of Devils" but, unfortunately, it might become too commercialized once teenage girls and boys realize it's perfect for making out to. Admire it while you can.

Yet another classic-sounding Yellowcard song is "Rough Landing, Holly," with upbeat guitar riffs that won't disappoint returning fans. After this, however, the CD gets interesting with a mature, political song, "Two Weeks From Twenty." This is one of the more overtly political songs on the album, it also is my favorite and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into yours as well.

Overall, this is a progressive song with relatable subject matter and a great trumpet solo. Definitely one of the best songs on the album.

After building up our expectations, Yellowcard lets us down with "Waiting Game," an all too familiar-sounding song that's worth listening to anyway. You'll be tapping your foot to it in line at Hollister before you know it.

When you read the next title on the track listing, don't get too excited. "Martin Sheen Or JFK" has a darker and more adult sound than the average Yellowcard song but disappoints when it doesn't live up to its interesting title.

Returning fans won't be able to help enjoying "Space Travel" with its singable, catchy chorus. However, others might see past the plastic front.

Thankfully, "Grey" saves us with interesting lyrics, darker vocals and a different sound that suits the band.

Another political message urging listeners to think about the war in Iraq and our government's actions crops up in "Words, Hands, Hearts" and it shines out as a gem among the rest of the tracks on the CD.

In competition with "City Of Devils" for the most beautiful song on the CD is "How I Go," and it's clear through the heartfelt lyrics and fresh harmonies that "How I Go" is the winner.

Lead singer Ryan Key's duet with Dixie Chick Natalie Maines is refreshing and has the potential to bring in new fans. The final song on the album, "Holly Wood Died," sums up the basic message of "Lights and Sounds" — Yellowcard might have the talent and the ability to move its sound into something a more mature audience might appreciate, but for right now, band members are fine with the group's pop-rock image.

Share and discuss “Yellowcard matures on new album” on social media.