Theater venues abundant

There have been claims that Americans are opting to skip going to the theater because of piracy, increased ticket prices and better technology for watching at home. It seems to some that the long tradition of going out and watching a movie on the big screen is becoming a thing of the past.

But I say that's blasphemy. I love going to the movies, and the $6.50 ticket price is still less than I'd spend at the bar. I don't know what kind of computer or TV you have, but I'm willing to bet it's not a 32-inch plasma.

I think the problem might be that people don't know where to go to the movies, or perhaps, they are bored with their usual theater. Luckily, the area has a lot of theater options for the big screen lover.

Option one: NCG Eastwood Cinemas, 2500 Showtime Drive in Lansing, in the Eastwood Towne Center.

I love NCG and think it's the best theater in the area. It might be because it's the first theater I visited when I moved to East Lansing, or perhaps because it's in a convenient location surrounded by shopping and food options. Regardless of the reason, it's the theater I go to the most frequently. I like it because the audience tends to participate, people will laugh out loud and clap at the end of movies. The seats are really comfortable and allow you to lift up the arm rests. I call these "cuddle seats," and they're perfect if you're there on a date.

Option two: On campus.

It's likely that everyone has experienced Wells Hall at some point in their college career. Either you suffered through a math or economics class there or you took advantage of the free movies. I've done both. Wells Hall screens movies that were recently in theaters and haven't come out on DVD yet. It also shows older movies that have a cult following or are just classics. Unfortunately, the seating is the most uncomfortable experience you'll ever have, but the deal is worth it.

Other campus locations often screen films, too. Owen Graduate Hall frequently shows movies for free. (You have to pay for it at Wells Hall). This weekend, Owen Graduate Hall is doing an International Film Festival. The festival is screening eight films from eight different countries. It begins at 4 p.m. Saturday, and the last movie on Saturday starts at 10:20 p.m. The first movie on Sunday is being shown at 3 p.m., and the last one begins at 9:20 p.m.

The East Lansing Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbott Road, isn't technically a part of campus, but it's close enough to walk to and located on the CATA bus route. This is the venue that the East Lansing Film Society frequently uses to screen its movies. The ELFS Film Series is at 7:30 p.m. every Thursday. Admission is $7 and $5 for students and seniors.

If you're feeling adventurous and have access to a car, there are even more opportunities to broaden your horizons.

Option three: Michigan Theater, 603 E. Liberty St. in Ann Arbor.

The Michigan Theater is a restored historic movie palace. The theater has recently been selected by the Sundance Institute as one of the 14 theaters across the country to be part of its Art House Project celebrating the Sundance Film Festival's 25th anniversary. The theater will be showing films that premiered at the festival and were well received.

Option four: Birmingham Palladium 12, 250 North Old Woodward Ave. in Birmingham.

This is the fanciest theater I've ever been to in Michigan. It has two floors with six screens on each. The screens are also wall-to-wall and curved. The seats are high backed and have Tempur-Pedic cushions. It also has the cuddle seat option.

Alessa Thomas is the State News film reporter. Contact her at thoma470@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Theater venues abundant” on social media.