Friday, September 27, 2024

Following the plan

East Village Master Plan finally approved; neat concepts, some questions about project still need to be answered

The wait might be over, but anxiety about the East Village Master Plan remains.

The new development in the Cedar Village area will include buildings with space for residential, retail and office use, provide higher-density housing and allow for better public access to the area through the creation of a park and pedestrian-friendly streets.

There's no question that the development will improve the shabby looking area. Compared to the bustling section across from campus, the stretch of Grand River Avenue between Bogue Street and Hagadorn Road is lifeless and decaying.

There aren't many places to draw people to the neighborhood, and that fast-moving part of Grand River Avenue traffic makes it difficult for any pedestrians who actually do venture to the area.

New housing, stores and a park will attract more people, but there are some issues that could arise from the plan.

One has to question the success of pairing expensive condos with cheap apartments. It seems that people willing to pay for a pricey place wouldn't necessarily want to live next door to college students.

People aren't exactly pushing to live in neighborhoods dominated by students.

Those who own property in the area shouldn't be forced to give up their property or to improve anything according to the city's blueprints. The city's project should be presented as a choice for property owners to become involved with, but the property owners should have final say regarding what happens to their land.

And if eminent domain is voted against in November, city planners will have no choice but to proceed around unmoving residents or plead with them.

If the new development is going to replace the current student housing in the area, the city needs to make sure that these new apartments are affordable for students. Sure, the pictures look great, but students shouldn't have to break the bank to live there.

It's good that the city wants to make improvements and provide residents with quality housing and more stores. However, the city needs to take care not to drive the students — the pulse of the city — away. Students should feel welcome to live in East Lansing without paying an excessive price.

Students need to be more involved in the process. What good is a plan for a college town that writes students out of the picture?

Share and discuss “Following the plan” on social media.