Campus events group lacks members

Marc Nardacci has an incredibly intense job resting on his shoulders. In his first year as director of ASMSU's Pop Entertainment, he faced a smaller amount of group members than last year, as well as a hefty budget cut.

ASMSU has been giving more money to cultural and activist events, regardless of how well planned the activity is, Nardacci said. Pop Entertainment pays the ultimate price as funds dwindle.

Because the concerts have been few and feature bands which are not as popular as those that performed last year, many previous members have lost interest in the organization. Just last semester, Pop Entertainment had 20 faithful members. At last week's meeting, there were only six.

Nardacci proposed an initiative to recruit new "Popsters." His goal is to assemble a street team of MSU students to promote and work the concerts this semester.

"It takes a bit of commitment. We need dedicated people willing to take time to promote the shows," Nardacci said.

The street team is responsible for publicizing concerts in the form of listen-ins, chalking campus, postering and selling tickets.

Reasons for joining Pop Entertainment are impressive, Nardacci said.

"It's a good cause. (Group members) get to bring music to campus. I want everyone to have fun," he said. "(Members) get free admission to concerts for helping with postering and promoting and working at the show."

Current members are committed to the cause and work hard to advertise and plug the shows. Despite the money and budget problems, those six members in attendance at the meeting are planning to stick it out.

"The harder we work, the more money Pop gets, and the better concerts we can do," said mechanical engineering junior Anthony Carlo.

Pop Entertainment is hoping for a late surge of new members in the near future. It plans to focus on building a new Web site targeting MSU students to find out which bands they'd like to see and where these shows should be held.

Surveys and polls are also under development as well as possible T-shirts for member recruitment, and organization recognition around campus. The idea should be well received, said economics senior Neal Wagner.

"I like T-shirts and things to cover my body," he said.

Those interested in joining Pop Entertainment can take a look at the extensive list of both rising stars and largely popular bands previously showcased by the group of "Popsters."

Although members work quite closely with University Activities Board and RHA, Pop Entertainment has had its hand in bringing top artists in the past such as The White Stripes, Ben Folds, Guster, Dashboard Confessional, Jason Mraz, Jimmy Eat World, and just recently, Relient K and MXPX, former Pop Entertainment director and current RHA director of special events, Grant Lyman said.

Next up is a show with Mae featuring Lovedrug scheduled for Feb. 23 at the Union. It is sponsored by RHA, but Pop plans to help, and in exchange, members receive free admission.

The group might have hit a rough patch, but in no way are members prepared to give up. Headstrong members are forging ahead, looking toward the next big show.

"Go Pop! Go Pop go!" Wagner said at the end of the meeting to boost the team's morale and spirits.

There is no end in sight for Pop Entertainment even though membership seems to be dwindling.

Students interested in joining Pop Entertainment can attend a meeting held every Sunday at 4 p.m. in the Union's Heritage Cafe located in the basement. Director Marc Nardacci can be contacted at 517-353-5255 or by visit the Pop Entertainment office in room 319 of the Union.

Share and discuss “Campus events group lacks members” on social media.