Five favorites

Every week, The State News presents five things going on in the world of pop culture that might make your life a little bit better.

1. The Oscar nominees will be revealed today at 8:30 a.m. Visit www.oscar.com for the list. It's likely you've seen at least one of the movies nominated this year, and if you've never heard of "Brokeback Mountain," put down this paper and drive to the theater right now. Check out the Academy Award contenders to see if your favorite celebrities are getting snubbed or the recognition they deserve.

2. Stewie fans unite! Everyone's favorite animated scheming, potty-mouthed baby has his own online talk show. Fox Interactive Media will be launching Stewie's Web show later this year on www.familyguy.com, but the deal was set in stone last week.

3. Late-night TV host Jimmy Kimmel will be broadcasting his show from Detroit all week on his show "Jimmy Kimmel Live." Beginning with tonight's episode, Kimmel will be at the Gem Theatre downtown and have guests such as Kid Rock, Jon Heder, Tom Arnold and the Four Tops. The show will highlight Detroit landmarks such as the Uniroyal tire and Greektown all week long. Tickets were sold out weeks ago, but catch the show on TV at 11:35 p.m. tonight through Friday, and about 1:30 a.m. after the Super Bowl.

4. Start playing the song "Welcome 2 Detroit" by Trick Trick featuring Eminem. Although the song was released a couple months ago, it will be on everyone's Super Bowl playlists this week.

5. The band Arctic Monkeys has been receiving enormous amounts of praise, which almost has people wondering whether this band is too good to be true. The band's debut album became the fastest-selling album in British chart history Monday morning. The album, "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not," has not yet been released in the United States, but be sure to look for it on February 21. If it's worth even half the hype, Arctic Monkeys is destined to become the next big thing.

Share and discuss “Five favorites” on social media.