Sunday, September 29, 2024

Delegation visits Lansing

Moldova looks to refine government

Angela Leahu, left, and Lidia Gutu are members of the parliament of the Eastern European country of Moldova. They were part of an 11-member delegation to visit the state Capitol on Tuesday and learn about communication strategies and constituent services, among other things. The delegates will be visiting parts of campus today, including the Cyclotron.

By Trey Scroggin
Special for The State News

Emerging out of the former Soviet Union, Moldova, a small country located northeast of Romania, has had a rough time as a republic.

As a new addition to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Moldova, one of Europe's poorest countries, is looking for ways to improve its government, economy and outlook.

Moldova's most recent approach is a delegation of 11 parliamentarians who have spent several weeks in the United States including stops in Washington, D.C., and Lansing on Monday.

Part of the curriculum has been working toward new and creative ways of governing a young country.

Through an organization called International Republican Institute, or IRI, the parliamentarians formed a delegation to study their similarities with politicians in the U.S., IRI member Sandy Caul said.

Former state Rep. Sandy Caul, who traveled to Moldova this fall to meet with politicians there, met with the group on its trip to the states.

The Moldovan delegates learned about government at the federal, state and city levels, government relations with their respective constituencies as well as with the mass media, and the role of women in government.

The IRI spans 40 countries, allowing politicians all over the world to exchange ideas and work toward common goals, specifically the furtherance of democratic processes and education in governing.

To help educate its participants, the IRI puts delegates into contact with politicians of other countries and their political systems.

This return-to-basics, hands-on approach allows for a better understanding of what truly goes on, said Michael Getto, a Resident Program Director of Moldova for the IRI.

"The main goal is to further the democratic process," he said.

While the delegates from the Moldovan parliament are well aware of the American democratic process, both parliamentarians Lidia Gutu and Angela Leahu expressed enthusiasm about their first-hand look at the United States' various levels of government.

The chance to share ideas with members of office was just as exciting, Leahu said. While the delegates admitted to learning a lot through the experience, it was a "mutual learning process," Leahu said.

The group used a translator to communicate with people it met as it toured the state Capitol.

On Tuesday, the group also attended a House committee meeting and House and Senate sessions.

While the program stressed governance education, the delegates seemed equally interested in cultural issues when they asked questions of Caul.

A majority of the questions dealt with media relations, constituent relations and communication between the government and the people.

Improving intercultural and international understanding are only two effects this program has as it aims to improve international relations with the United States.

While Moldova is a new democracy with a constitution and institutions, the members of Parliament are looking for the practical skills needed to develop governing mechanics, Gutu said through the translator.

Share and discuss “Delegation visits Lansing” on social media.