Thursday, October 10, 2024

SSX on Tour

EA Sports Big is back with the fourth installment in its SSX series of snowboarding games, "SSX on Tour." The game is true to the SSX formula: big jumps, ridiculous tricks and plenty of style.

It's the style aspect that sets "SSX on Tour" apart from its predecessors. The graphics aren't anything that will make your jaw drop — then again, the Xbox has been around long enough that it's hard for any game to impress in the graphics department, especially with the Xbox 360 around the corner. The presentation, on the other hand, is as good as you'll see in any game.

All the in-game menus and overlays are drawn like sketches in a notebook. The resulting effect is brilliant. Loading screens are never dull because there is always a new, interesting sketch to look at. It keeps the game fresh, even when the actual game play becomes a bit stale.

That brings us to the core of the "SSX on Tour:" the game play. The controls are laid out well enough and the game plays intuitively, but it's just snowboarding. You'll be given various tasks to accomplish, like scoring 30,000 trick points on a run or beating another player in a race to the bottom of the mountain, but it all feels the same after about an hour.

At the end of the day, "SSX on Tour," offers a good short-term experience. It's not worth a purchase, especially if you own some of the other games in the series, but it's definitely worth a rental.

Share and discuss “SSX on Tour” on social media.