Tuesday, October 22, 2024

La Casa offers bilingual living

Students practice Spanish during organized events

When Kristina Leonardi hears commotion outside her third-floor door in West McDonel Hall on a Tuesday or Thursday evening, she knows it's dinnertime.

The criminal justice and Spanish senior is a resident of the La Casa residential program — which means "the house" in Spanish. When she hears the noise outside her door she knows it's her floormates, who gather at 6 p.m. two times a week to dine and speak Spanish together with other students who might want to improve their skills.

La Casa, in its fourth year, encourages the 25 students who live on the coed floor to speak Spanish with one another through planned activities.

Leonardi said the other students on her floor seem like family.

"We know each other, and we are friends, so we aren't going to make fun of someone for not knowing something," she said. "It's not a huge time commitment. You are going to go to dinner anyway, so why not practice your Spanish?"

Spanish and political theory and constitutional democracy senior Candace Shankin is the resident mentor for the floor and said the dinners are an informal way for them to be together and talk about current events going on in Spanish-speaking countries.

"It's not just that I'm learning more about the culture I am interested in and the language speaking, but I can see people in my floor improve," she said. "It sets you down in an informal atmosphere, where you aren't in class where you are going to have to learn grammar and the like. At dinner, you use more of your conversational skills."

The living situation is open to all majors. The Department of Spanish and Portuguese in the College of Arts and Letters includes a requirement for students to participate in a Spanish-speaking living experience, after a curriculum revision in the department a few years ago, said Spanish Professor Patricia Lunn.

"The reason for learning a language at all is to be able to communicate," Lunn said. "So there is no question in the minds of faculty that students must use their Spanish in some practical way. That is why the major requirement is they live overseas, live in La Casa or have some experience where they use their skills."

Audrey Brunetaux, a graduate student in French languages and literature, said a similar program is available through the Department of French, Classics and Italian. Every Thursday from 6-7 p.m. in the Old Horticulture Building, participants can brush up on their French and interact with natives who attend the discussions.

Students who are interested in participating in La Casa must apply and write an essay.

"The students are very motivated and excited to learn about the culture," said Jade Sims, La Casa adviser. "I've had quite a few students return."

Leonardi participated in the living program last spring before studying abroad in Spain this summer, and said she decided to return to La Casa this year.

"If it wasn't for La Casa and my classes, I wouldn't have a huge opportunity to practice my Spanish," she said. "It's easy to have some place to go where everyone is speaking Spanish and helping each other. I know I have benefited from it."

Share and discuss “La Casa offers bilingual living” on social media.