Thursday, October 10, 2024

The happenings

Music

1. Friday: Punks vs 'Pokes, 8 p.m. at The Temple Club, 500 E. Grand River Ave., in Lansing. $5 for 21 and up and $8 for 18-20.

2. Saturday: LaSalle, The Felix Culpa, zZz and War Between the States. Doors are at 9 p.m. at Mac's Bar, 2700 E. Michigan Ave. $5 for 21 and up and $8 for 18-20.

3. Monday: The Gossip, We Are Wolves, Bit and Casionauts at Mac's Bar. This is an all ages show and doors are at 8 p.m. Pre-sale tickets are $8 at Mac's and Flat, Black and Circular, 541 E. Grand River Ave. $10 at the door.

4. Tuesday: Hella, The Robot Ate Me and Bear vs. Shark at Mac's Bar. Doors are at 9 p.m. $8 for 18 and up.

Venues

1. Thursday: DJ Pi presents Soul: Funk Night at Mac's Bar, 2700 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing. $3 for 21 and up, $5 for 18-20. Doors open at 9 p.m. For more information visit www.macsbar.com.

2. Saturday: X-cel Lounge-Dance Bar, 224 S. Washington Square in Lansing. "Sin" Saturdays. 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Ladies free until midnight, $5 admission after midnight. $5 admission for men.

3. Friday: The Dollar Nightclub, 3411 E. Michigan Ave. Half-off night. American Accent plays live. Visit www.thedollarnightclub.com for more information.

4. Saturday: The Dollar Nightclub, 3411 E. Michigan Ave. Ladies' night. Blue Eyed Floozy plays live. Visit www.thedollarnightclub.com for more information.

5. Thursday: Magdalena's Tea House, 2006 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing. Troubadours of Divine Bliss plays live. The group was voted "Best New Folk Band" by New Orleans' Offbeat magazine. $6-$10 sliding scale cover. Visit www.magadalenasteahouse.com for more information.

Theatre

1. Today, Friday, Saturday and Sunday: "King O' the Moon," a comedy following the Pazinski family into the 1960s. At 7 p.m. today, 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday. BoarsHead Theatre at the Center For the Arts, 425 S. Grand Ave. in Lansing. Adults: $26-33, seniors $21-27. Check out a review online at www.statenews.com.

2. Thursday, Saturday, Sunday: "Lucky Dog," a dark comedy. At 7 p.m. today, 8 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Riverwalk's Black Box Theatre at The Creole Gallery, 1218 Turner St. in Lansing. Cost is $10.

3. Friday: "Gao Hong," performs the pipa, a Chinese pear-shaped lute. 8 p.m. at Wharton Center. Cost is $26 or $15 with student ID.

4. Ongoing: "The Question Concerning Technology" by Katherine Fishburn, an artistic installation. The Creole Gallery, 1218 Turner St. in Lansing. Free.

Films opening Friday

"Flightplan," starring Jodie Foster and Peter Sarsgaard. Rated PG-13.

"Corspe Bride," with the voices of Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. Directed by Tim Burton. Rated PG.

"Roll Bounce," starring Bow Wow and Nick Cannon. Rated PG-13.

"Oliver Twist," starring Ben Kingsley and Barney Clark. Rated PG-13. Showing at limited theaters.

Another recent film that's still cool

"The Constant Gardener," starring Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz. Rated R.

Miscellaneous

1. The Sky's the Limit. Features kite flying, games, prizes and food. At 6 p.m., there will be a demonstration of kite fighting. Munn Field, Friday, 5-7:30 p.m. Admission: Free

2. 1st Annual Lil' Sibs Day, an opportunity to bring your siblings to campus. International Center/Wells Hall courtyard (Rain location: International Center). Saturday 2:30 p.m. - 12 a.m. Crafts from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m., live music from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Admission: Free

3. Tim Cavanagh. Comedian, featured on the Bob & Tom Show. Connxtions Comedy Club, 2900 N. East St., in Lansing. Shows: Wednesday and Thursday at 8 p.m., Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Admission: All tickets $15. College students (with ID) $5 on Wednesday and Thursday.

Share and discuss “The happenings” on social media.