Monday, September 30, 2024

Students mourn tsunami victims

Candles are placed in a sandbox outside of Wharton Center following the candlelight ceremony portion of a memorial service for victims of the tsunami in Southeast Asia on Wednesday evening. The candles remained lit as the memorial continued inside with further reflection and presentations.

On Wednesday evening, the outside of Wharton Center was lit by candles glowing in the hands of people gathered to remember the lives lost in the tsunami in Southeast Asia.

Under the theme of "The Whole World is One Family," the candlelight vigil demonstrated how the MSU community and the world were connected by the natural disaster of an unprecedented magnitude.

"True compassion is boundless," MSU President Lou Anna Simon said during a speech given to about 100 people. "No degree of distance around the world can combine the power of true compassion."

Participants said events like the vigil could help the victims by bringing attention to the tsunami disaster.

"I have a friend there in Thailand," zoology junior Jennifer Straty said. "She wasn't directly affected, but I feel like I know some people over there. From a local viewpoint, it'll help bring students from different countries (together) and become friends."

After Simon and other MSU officials spoke, participants put their candles out in sandboxes outside Wharton Center before walking into the building for a memorial service.

The service was presided by three international student leaders and nine local religious leaders.

They emphasized that the community should unite to support the victims, regardless of different racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds.

"The gathering this evening lay a foundation for friendship and cooperation between religion and the world," said Rabbi Michael Zimmerman of Kehillat Israel Congregation, who spoke and prayed during the event as a representative for the Jewish community.

Simon said having different religious leaders present at the event is important, given the range of countries affected by the disaster.

"Our community and the communities that were affected are represented by the religious leaders who are here," she said. "This is a way of expressing compassion and finding an opportunity for reflection."

It was Simon's idea that gave shape to Wednesday's events, said Peter Briggs, director of the Office of International Students and Scholars, or OISS.

"It's an appropriate symbol of our caring and concern," Simon said.

Simon said the university would focus on helping redevelop the affected regions with faculty members and experts participating.

She said during her speech that part of the university's effort to continue to help the victims would be to make special funds available with the help of OISS and other student groups.

Share and discuss “Students mourn tsunami victims” on social media.