Tuesday, October 22, 2024

ASMSU launches new Web site

It's been two years since ASMSU has had a working Web site.

But MSU's undergraduate student government changed that on Friday with the launch of a new site.

The Web site - www.asmsu.msu.edu - has several links that define various branches under the ASMSU governance. Students are able to browse the services the group offers and read background information on ASMSU.

"(ASMSU's Web site) has a good skeletal structure," said Andrew Schepers, Student Assembly chairperson. "But we still have some work to do."

Joseph Obringer, an advertising senior, works as director of digital media and graphic marketing, or as ASMSU's Web technician.

Obringer was hired in the spring of last year and is the third web technician - a paid position - to be employed within the past two years.

This is the first time since his employment, nearly a year ago, that ASMSU will have an active Web site.

Schepers acknowledged the disturbed line of hired help ASMSU has experienced.

"Last year's web person was injured and eventually had to quit," he said.

"We've just had a bad string of Web site designers."

Obringer agreed there was a lot of work left for him.

"We have a majority of the Web site up," he said. "We had a Web site back then, but it was nonexistent, so we were starting from scratch."

Obringer said even now he is having trouble running the Web site effectively.

"Something is wrong with the MSU database," he said. "We have to wait on someone to come by and fix whatever the problem is."

The malfunctioning database is preventing Obringer from creating a calendar and a message board for students to view and have access to.

Obringer said the process of designing the Web site is extensive.

"ASMSU is such a large organization," he said. "There is like a web of different branches. It is very time consuming to get all of the information from the various organizations."

Obringer said before he can collaborate with the branches, they first have to find time to come together.

"None of the students are working full time," he said. "So that's something you have to deal with."

Schepers said students who want to become more aware of the services that ASMSU provides on campus might find the Web site to be the most effective tool.

"We're going to try and put as much as possible up as we can," he said.

Schepers said the Web site will have links of pages designed to inform students on various issues that ASMSU has been working on, including the fall semester's tailgating policies and change.

Zoology senior Kate Ranos said the Web site is beneficial to students.

"Having this online is a good idea because it is a lot easier, and we are all lazy," she said. "It is much easier if it is right there on the Internet and more people would be likely to use it."

Share and discuss “ASMSU launches new Web site” on social media.