Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Spartan talent shines at competition

General management freshman Danielle Randall hits the high notes during the first round of Spartan Idol Friday night at the International Center. Randall said she has not sung on stage since high school and the competition gave her a rare opportunity to do so.

Gabrielle Russon
Special to The State News

Students flocked to the International Center this weekend to see the third annual Spartan Idol competition.

Attendants heard songs by artists ranging from Michael Jackson to Alicia Keys and songs from the musicals "Grease" and "Chicago" at the event sponsored by the University Activities Board.

Because of the success of the "American Idol" TV show, the UAB created its own version for MSU students. UAB Assistant Director Cathy Carson said there has been a high demand for the event, now in its third year.

"We provide late-night programming and give students what they want to see" Carson said.

Following the same format as the popular TV show, the UAB conducted tryouts with 60 performers and narrowed it down to 20 contestants.

The competition began Friday night when 20 performers sang in the International Center to a packed audience and three judges. Based on the judges' comments, the audience voted by ballot for the top five singers.

On Saturday the top five were given free hair and make-up stylings from Marshall Field's and Clinique.

Audience members eagerly attended Spartan Idol to cheer on their personal favorites both nights. Jacque Spanding went to the event with nearly 30 members from the South Baptist Church, 5250 Cornerstone Drive in Lansing. The group wore T-shirts reading "Come on Nico Suave" to watch their friend, history freshman Nico Berroa, perform. Berroa won the competition.

"He's aware his friends are there," said Mike Jiang, a psychology junior.

"We scream loud," Spanding added.

The Spartan Idol competition began Friday evening with a sultry performance of Marvin Gaye's "Lets Get it On" by Nick Giacona, a no-preference sophomore. Throwing off his leather jacket as he danced, Giacona worked the judges to earn an extra bit of approval.

"I've never been hit on so much during a song," said Derek Wallbank, a judge representing the Residence Halls Association. "Actually I've never been hit on so much in my life."

Nutritional sciences sophomore Steve Couch was an experienced performer in Spartan Idol. Last year, he advanced to the top five and decided to enter this year's competition as well. Although he has been singing since he was 4 years old, Couch admitted he felt nervous before the event.

"I just learned my song on Tuesday," he said.

Couch sang a rendition of Luther Vandross' "Here and Now."

In order to cope with pre-performance jitters, art education junior Samantha Letvin drank lemon juice as part of her singing ritual. The moment Letvin entered the stage and sang "All That Jazz" from the musical "Chicago," she said she felt her nervousness vanish as she sang to the audience.

"I just decided to do it one night," she said. "I didn't expect to get in (the top 20)."

Letvin said the entire experience of Spartan Idol has been extremely positive. She added that she formed close friendships with the 19 other singers.

Psychology junior Andrea Ericksen decided to attend Spartan Idol on Friday night because she was a fan of the original "American Idol."

"I used to be a huge American Idol fan," she said. "I would make my friends tape it for me while I was at my night class."

Berroa, the winner of the MSU singing competition, was awarded studio time with Lighthouse Recording Inc. in Dimondale. The studio will give Berroa 10 hours to work at recording and creating 50 demo CDs.

"It is a great opportunity for an upcoming star," Carson said.

Share and discuss “Spartan talent shines at competition” on social media.