Monday, September 30, 2024

Shooting involved students

Two MSU students were identified as the victims of an assault and shooting at The Club at Chandler Crossings Saturday, according to Clinton County court documents obtained Wednesday.

Early Saturday morning, complex security guards reported a fight between several people at The Club at Chandler Crossings. The fight escalated, and 21-year-old Lansing resident Pedro Serna pulled a gun.

Jason Fowlds, a 21-year-old international relations senior, was shot in the hand after trying to wrestle the gun away from Serna, according to the documents. Studio art graduate student Aletha Israels was allegedly struck with the handgun, but was not seriously hurt.

Despite the nonfatal shooting at the complex, 3850 Coleman Road, Bath Township police officers said the Northern Tier apartments are as safe as ever.

"It's still pretty much the same as the rest of the area," said Bath Township police Sgt. Scott Rose. "This is just one of those things that happens."

No other serious incidents have been reported from the Northern Tier apartments this semester.

"When something like this happens, it draws more attention to the area," Rose said. "But we still don't have a higher number of incidents here."

Rose said it hasn't been determined if Serna's gun was registered.

The Northern Tier is an area of several newer apartment complexes heavily occupied by students, including The Village, The Club and The Landings at Chandler Crossings and Crossing Place Apartments.

The Club at Chandler Crossings is a gated community, and keys or key cards are required to enter buildings and apartments.

Serna was arrested Sunday and arraigned Monday, according to a Clinton County Courthouse clerk. His preliminary exam is scheduled for Oct. 14, and he could face up to six years in prison.

Share and discuss “Shooting involved students” on social media.