Tuesday, October 22, 2024

'U' to train health students

New center will provide classes in patient treatment

With mechanical mannequins, standardized patients and computer scenarios, MSU is taking steps toward joining top medical schools such as Northwestern University with advanced technology.

The MSU Board of Trustees recently passed a measure to start the design phase for a new Learning and Assessment Center, which will be built in East Fee Hall.

"The Assessment Center is an important element for not only the feedback to our students, but also will play an important role in research and development regarding new educational approaches," said President-designate Lou Anna Simon.

The center is a joint project between four MSU colleges - the College of Human Medicine, the College of Osteopathic Medicine, the College of Veterinary Medicine and the College of Nursing.

"We think it's the direction medicine is going because we need to be more accountable to the public," said Glenn Davis, dean of the College of Human Medicine, where the project originated.

In the standardized patient technique, "patients" are actors with fabricated backgrounds, medical history and current symptoms.

The feature is especially important, Davis said, because the 2004-05 school year will be the first time medical students will be tested on diagnosing a person to obtain their licenses.

The personal interaction provides health professional students with the chance to hone communication skills they will need for interviews and diagnoses, Davis said.

"Communication is essential for any medical health professional to understand the problems and reflect the possible undertaking," said Janver Krehbiel, associate dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine.

Mechanized mannequins will serve as pseudo-patients where students will be presented with a scenario and told to treat the "patient."

Medical skills, such as administering drugs, can be tested without risking harm to actual human beings because the mannequins can recognize the correct medicine and dosage for the treated ailment.

Students will also work with computer programs where the virtual patients will "die" if treated incorrectly.

The computer simulations allow students to take care of "patients" for extended amounts of time, allowing them to experience caring for long-term illnesses.

"There are new demands in the health professional field and requirements for schools in patient safety-driven changes," Davis said. "Having this kind of tool will allow for a better assessment of skills in competency."

"It's the flight simulator equivalent for a doctor."

Design Plus of Grand Rapids is the firm involved in the design process.

Construction costs could not be estimated yet because planning is not complete, said Ruth Hoppe, the center's future director.

Providing the MSU Board of Trustees accepts the design for the center, construction - which includes renovating part of Fee Hall - is slated to begin in February and end December 2005, Hoppe said.

Share and discuss “'U' to train health students” on social media.