Monday, October 21, 2024

Fair promotes study abroad

Rachel DeMeyer, a fifth-year interdisciplinary studies in social science senior, holds an inflatable globe Thursday while talking to students at the Study Abroad Fair in the Union.

The Antarctica booth, complete with dry ice and a large penguin, was just one of 107 booths at the 15th Semi-annual Fall 2004 Study Abroad Fair at the Union on Thursday afternoon.

The fair, which had booths for programs ranging in location from South Africa to Ireland, presented information about the 200 programs students can take part in.

Kathleen Fairfax, director of the Office of Study Abroad said about 2,400 students traveled abroad through the program last year.

"It's a different environment, different people, and it creates a challenging and enriching learning environment," Fairfax said. "It's hard to replicate somewhere else."

Many of the programs offer options for a variety of majors, such as the Antarctica program, which is offered during winter break through the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources and the College of Natural Science.

"It's open to all majors, and we tailor the projects based on their major," said John Schwartz, an outreach specialist in the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, who provided information at the fair.

Other programs can appeal to specific majors such as The Horse Industry of Ireland and Northern Ireland program.

Jessica Perpich, a 2004 MSU graduate, participated in the Behavior Ecology of African Mammals summer 2004 program and said she enjoyed the chance to get closer to what they're studying.

"I loved it. It was the best thing I've ever done," Perpich said. "I got to be really close to the animals and learned a lot about their behavior."

Students who have not picked a major can still find a program to go on, said University Undergraduate Division Adviser Karen Tkaczyk.

"Students think if they don't have a major, they can't go on a trip," Tkaczyk said. "I tell them, take your ISB snorkeling; you don't have to take it here."

Representatives from the Office of Financial Aid were also at the Study Abroad Fair to talk to students about funding a program.

Financial Aid Officer Hien Hopkins said, for students who don't qualify for financial aid there are loans available.

Keyanta Bishaw, an interdisciplinary studies in social science junior, said she went to the fair to learn more about study abroad.

"I am interested in study abroad and figured it was time to stop procrastinating, get the information and go," Bishaw said.

"There's a lot in the world I want to see, and I might as well do it while it's the same price as tuition," no-preference freshman Jessica Hanold said.

Share and discuss “Fair promotes study abroad” on social media.